X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: From Farbism to authentic

Originally posted by Tom Dodson View Post
    I may regret this but I feel the need to add a couple of cents here. It was said earlier in this thread that "mainstreamers" hold "campaigners/progressives/authentics" in contempt. Actually it seems to me the opposite it closer to the truth. The terms mainstreamer and farb seem to be used as if they were interchangeable. As a reenactor/living historian who would fall into the mainstream group, I find that insulting. I received a warning for insulting someone on this forum. It appears to me that there is a double standard in use. It is perfectly OK for "Progressive/Hardcore/whatever" to insult the "mainstream" contingent as a whole but nothing can be said derogatory about a member of the "hardcore" sect. I am well aware that this forum is "The Authentic Campaigner". I suppose I could do my forum perusing elsewhere but there are many useful facts and much useful information on this forum. I sometimes wonder if gleaning that information is worth being constantly insulted however.
    It's a matter of personal taste, Tom. You are indeed correct that this is the Authentic Campaigner forum, so generally the demographic of users here are just that..."authentic" campaigners. For purposes of comparison, a dog lover wishing to visit a cat forum may do so, but if they begin posting about dogs and not cats on that forum, cat lovers are going to start pouncing all over that individual (no pun intended). For many here on the AC (and I do not think this is an overstatement), this forum is like a sanctuary. Without it, those who consider themselves "authentic" would not really have a place to call home on the web; not as a collective. While no one is necessarily excluded here, there are many elements of the hobby that are 110% unacceptable (and even laughable) to those "hardcore" reeneactors (men and women alike) who would much rather find solstice in the company of other like minded authentic portrayers.

Now, sites like the Civil War Reenactors' Home Page forum exist for Civil War reenactors from all walks of the hobby. Many users here are users there as well...I am, for instance. Regardless of the CWR forum's content, we can certainly agree that all 19th century reenactors are welcomed there and therefore a wide range of ideas and opinions exist there by consequence. Often times on the CWR forum there are posts that are totally unrelated to the Great Southern Rebellion (as it's known up here in the North) and delve into subject matter that if it were posted on the AC, it would be deleted. So, with that said, consider the AC a finely tuned sub-sect of something larger, much like the campaigner mindset itself. We here on the AC create our own events and expand on our own ideas to better the hobby in a way that's both practical and acceptable to us. If there is snickering occurring at the expense of cooler carrying, generator running, sneaker wearing "farbs" then all I can tell you is that there will be no remorse found on the AC, nor should there be, as that is why this site exists in the first place.

Comment

As I said, I should have known better. Most of the people on this forum appear to be elitist. I know and count as friends many people in the A/C/P facet of the hobby. I have put into practice many of the things I have learned from this forum. If I choose not to eat fried rat at a Vicksburg event, however, I do not believe that constitutes being a "farb".
      You guys enjoy your forum and yourselves. Pardon me for being so obtuse as to not realize you are superior beings.
      If I choose to continue reading this forum I's be a good boy and keep my unworthy opinions to myself.
      Tom Dodson
      Tom Dodson

Comment

Well, Tom, what did you expect us to say? I'm not going to apologize for holding myself to a higher standard than you.

As Mr. O'Keefe alluded to: What part of "Authentic-Campaigner" did you not understand?
        Joe Smotherman

Comment

I was going to write something but now that I am an elitist, I don't have to. Ah, what the heck, I'll write something. I figure play soldiers ought to read how the real soldiers back in the day did things, what they wore, how they did this and that, what they thought and the such, and then do it that way. As far as carrying a bunch of stuff, I am too lazy to do so. By the way, I am glad that Joe is still alive and kicking so he can remind folks he is still alive and kicking though last month I heard he might be dead and bloating down in Lousiana but then I saw him and he was just kind of bloated, but age does that to some fellows.
          Last edited by Old Reb; 04-23-2009, 05:29 PM.
          Tom Yearby
          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Old Reb View Post
            [...]he was just kind of bloated, but age does that to some fellows.
            I-yi-yi...I better start hitting the gym.

Comment

The bottom line is you can’t be very “authentic” at the local Kwickie-mart opening, get to the good events. You can beg, borrow and sell your blood for the gear. But it does not matter what you have if you are a stay at home ranger.
              Andrew Grim
              The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
              x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
              Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
              Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Hallo!

Moderator hat on...

I believe this thread, having given good advice and answer to the original question, has taken its sadly inevitable downward them/us and us/them slide and is closed.

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                X