Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line Officer Impression

Gents,
    I am finalizing my impression for a captain of the 106th Reg't PVI. I have my officer's sack, kepi, issue flannel shirt, English broadcloth military vest, cravat, "mickey blacks" socks, drawers, Jefferson booties and a pair of boots. I even have a knit undershirt. I have a pair of infantry officer dark blue trowsers with the sky blue piping. These, however, are leftovers from my early days. And are of the sutler row variety. Albeit with handworked buttonholes. My question is this: would my plain sky blue Schuylkil Arsenal enlisted trowsers ( from Chris Sullivan at Stoneybrook) be okay to use here? I do not have the capital to layout for a correct pair of trowsers at this time.
    Thank You!
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]
    [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
    106th Reg't PVI
    Co. G
    Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Re: Line Officer Impression

From time to time the question of officers purchasing enlisted clothing comes up. As a general rule officers bought their own clothing, so technically we might call most of what they wore "private purchase."

But the army seems to have recognized that an officer in, say, Fort Huachuca, might not have the same access to tailors as one in New York and without flexibility might find himself in embarassing circumstances should he ever wear out his clothing in service. Thus the following paragraph in the 1861 Regulations:

"1166. Officers of the army may purchase, at the regulation price, from the quartermaster of their post, such articles of uniform clothing as they actually need-certifying that the articles so drawn are intended solely for their own personal use."

So based on this you would have the same authority to buy enlisted trousers as you would the issue shirt (although you have a better excuse than most of us not to actually wear that shirt :) ).

If you go through the 7,000+ civil war photos on the Library of Congress site (Prints and Photographs section), you will see that officers did exercise this authority from time to time.

Hope this helps.

P. S. Very very few -- if any -- events would ever ping you for wearing the sutler row officer's trousers.
    Last edited by Pvt Schnapps; 04-28-2009, 11:41 AM.
    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Michael,
      I like my gray flannel shirt!:tounge_sm It is actually not bad at all. I do have a civie shirt as well as a "dress white" shirt to wear.
      I really want to replace my blue officer's trowsers... the fabric is just too heavy and the color is not right. From time to time I will also be portraying an officer on staff duties for 2d Army Corp HQ. Detached from my regiment.

Thanks!
      [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
      106th Reg't PVI
      Co. G
      Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

You may want to check Chris Sullivans consignment page from time to time, ya never know when a pair of officer trousers may show up.
        Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Dean,
          Check out the BST forums as well. With times being tough right now, there are good deals to be had, if a lad keeps a sharp eye.
          Bryant Roberts
          Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
          palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

I have seen photographs of officers wearing enlisted trousers (or at least trousers with no welt and similar construction details). I cannot remember seeing a photograph of an officer wearing an issue shirt (although I would be anxious to see such). The famous officers three photograph attached (first pic) might show such, but I don't have a good enough scan to be certain. I know that both mounted overcoats and mounted trousers were offered for sale to officers (Joshua Chamberlain wore both at Fredericksburg according to his own letters). Have attached a handful of details from photos over at American Memory on the LOC site showing what appear to be enlisted trousers.

Of course none of these are from the 106th PVI. :D
            Attached Files
            Your Most Ob't. Serv't.,
            Andrew Dangel,

Comment

Gents,
              Thanks for your input. My uniform will be thus to start:
              -officer's kepi with small infantry officer patch
              -officer's sack coat w/ captain's shoulder bars
              -issue gray flannel shirt/ white officer's dress shirt
              -black cravat/ light blue cravat
              -NY depot drawers
              -dark blue infantry officer trowsers
              -sky blue enlisted trowsers
              -English broadcloth military vest
              -"mickey black" issue socks
              -issue booties
              -boots

For dress occassions add:
              -shell jacket or jr officer frock coat
              -sash
              -sword

All but the dark blue trowsers are made to correct pattern with correct materials. I have tried to tailor my kit so as to be able to portray a typical officer in any army. For the western armies I even have a Hardee hat... sans any adornments. :)

Thanks Again...
              [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
              106th Reg't PVI
              Co. G
              Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

The flannel shirts sold by sutlers (even those from the same quality sutler) vary from run to run, so I erred in suggesting they're all uncomfortable. Unfortunately for me, my most comfortable flannel is red and apparently hastily dyed for it continues to bleed.

My problems aside, folks might find it interesting to hear a contemporary British view of what an officer ought to carry on campaign. This comes from Sir Garnet Wolseley's The Soldier's Pocket Book (1871 -- available on Google Books):

"An Infantry officer's kit will be as follows :—

"Worn or carried on the person. — Shako, tunic, trousers, shooting boots, socks (woollen), drawers, flannel shirt, silk pocket-handkerchief, gaiters, clasp-knife, drinking-cup and water-bottle, pocket-book, telescope (having compass attached to it), watch, waterproof coat and haversack.

"To be carried in Valise forming Bed.—A great-coat with cape—new pattern (8 lbs.), 1 blanket (4 lbs.), 1 pr. of trousers (2 lbs. 2oz.), 1 pr. of shooting boots and 6 spare boot laces (2 lbs. 14 oz.), 2 pr. of worsted socks (8 oz.), 1 pr. of drawers (10 oz.), 1 flannel shirt (13 oz.), 1 silk pocket- handkerchief (1J oz.), 1 woollen nightcap (4 oz.), 2 towels (1 lb.), a holdall, containing 1 comb, 1 small hair brush, 1 tooth-brush, 1 small clothes brush, 1 pr. of scissors, and a metal soap box (1 lb. 6 oz.), 1 small sponge in bag (3 oz.), 1 housewife (4 oz.), 1 tin of dubbing (3 oz.), 1 portfolio, containing pen, ink, and paper (15 oz.), 1 journal book (9 oz.), 1 cholera belt (6 oz.), 1 calico bandage (3 oz.), 1 candle-lamp with a few candles (1 lb.), 1 tin match-box (3 oz.), 2 tin plates (14 oz.), 1 cup (in leather bag) containing knife, fork, spoon, pepper and salt pots (1 Ib.), a map of the country (5 oz.), 1 India-rubber basm (1 Ib.), some tobacco and 'The Soldiers' Pocket Book' (1 Ib.). The total weight of these articles is 30 lbs. 3 oz., and as the valise in which they are contained weighs 9 lbs., the whole kit weighs, say 40 lbs."

Of your proposed kit, I would only take issue with the cotton socks. These will work for short distances but would greatly inconvenience you on any march. In fact, for any distance I would recommend modern wool hiking socks over even the most "authentic" cotton socks, as the difference in fiber content or knit pattern seems relatively small compared to the damage you could do to your feet. And, to my knowledge, the Federal army never issued cotton socks anyway. Since deals on wool socks come up with some regularity, you don't need to compromise for long.
                Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
                  Of your proposed kit, I would only take issue with the cotton socks.[/FONT]
                  Not only that, but unless there's new documentation available, Mickey Black socks aren't made from a period pattern, since they have short-row heels.

Hank Trent
                  hanktrent@voyager.net
                  Hank Trent

Comment

Now that you have the kit squared away - how many times have you read School Of The Soldier, School Of The Company & School Of The Battalion cover to cover ? :)
                    John Duffer
                    Independence Mess
                    MOOCOWS
                    WIG
                    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Agree completely with John D on this one. A leader is more than just his impression.
                      [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                      [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Originally posted by john duffer View Post
                        Now that you have the kit squared away - how many times have you read School Of The Soldier, School Of The Company & School Of The Battalion cover to cover ? :)
                        I'll add a plug for "School of the Clerk." An officer should know a little bit about his property management responsibilities... ;)

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ead.php?t=9874
                        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

A note on drill:
                          Reading a manual is a bit like reading Shakespeare: It was not written to be read, but to be performed.

So, if you only crack the book while in a comfy chair or as reading material on the potty, then you're probably missing a lot. Get out there and DO the drill, and take the manual with you.
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger
                          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
                            Not only that, but unless there's new documentation available, Mickey Black socks aren't made from a period pattern, since they have short-row heels.

Hank Trent
                            hanktrent@voyager.net
                            That's good to know, Hank. On separate occasions I've seen at least three young soldiers tear their feet up because those were the only "authentic" socks they felt they could afford.
                            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

"A note on drill:
                              Reading a manual is a bit like reading Shakespeare: It was not written to be read, but to be performed.

So, if you only crack the book while in a comfy chair or as reading material on the potty, then you're probably missing a lot. Get out there and DO the drill, and take the manual with you."

Mr. Wickett, I understand what you're saying but disagree in a literal sense. The more you read cover to cover tne more you'll pick up and the less time the men will be standing around while you flip thru the book (one of the more common complaints I hear from folks). For SOTS go through the movements in front of a mirror, for the others make sketches as you go, use toy soldiers, wooden blocks, etc. I'm lucky enough to work on a CADD system and have virtual companies and battalions at true scale that I can move around to test movements. Obviously you're correct that the field is where the rubber meets the road, I'm just saying the more you study at home the smoother it'll go when it's real.
                              Last edited by john duffer; 04-29-2009, 01:39 PM.
                              John Duffer
                              Independence Mess
                              MOOCOWS
                              WIG
                              "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Working...
                              X