A humble observation about Federal uniforms in the Eastern Theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A humble observation about Federal uniforms in the Eastern Theatre

I know we all feel we need to do proper research in attaining an authentic impression but in the last few years there seems to be a trend that misrepresents the diversity of ALL soldier in the civil war, too many black hats. Now before I start my rant, I have been researching the 1st Nebraska Infantry(a large task to be sure) and have always been aware of the unique bit of kit that western Union men wore. A preference for the full frock coat, Hardee hats and civilian hats instead of the kepis and forage caps more common out east. Dark blue pants or even grey or black. I guys know what I mean, but with units portraying east coast units these "western" items seem to show up far to often. Yes they did have them, thats not the question, but period newspapers from New York, Penn. , or Boston would often describe these men as being "crisp, clean and of a fine soldierly appearance" as compared to: Emigrant William Kelley:
    "A most unsoldierly looking lot they were: unshaven, unshorn, with patched uniforms and a lounging gate. The privates being more particular in their inquiries after whiskey, for which they offered one dollar the half-pint; but we had none to sell them even at that tempting price."
    about a unit still guarding the Oregon a few months before the outbreak of the war. The blacks hats of any style is where I see the farbism the most. If the state of New York took the time, money and resources to produce Kepis for the men it sent south then most if not all men in these units would have them, not just 1/2 to 1/3. Where as Nebraska similar to other states west of the Mississippi, issued out what few of anything they had of anything, produced what the could buy hand in local homes, and privately bought the rest. In some ways mirroring the poorer confederate states.
    My point is do your research, if the evidence of the day points to a more western looking impression wear it but don't do it because "it looks cool". A 19 year old draftee out of a New York slaughter house WILL look different front hardy frontiersmen volunteering for a territorial militia. Just as no one wants to dress like a hick from Nebraska today, no one wanted to do it then.
    I have a feeling that most of this doesn't apply to many of you, but informing and aiding those it does apply to would be nice, if not simply for the sake of honoring GAR vets from their home state honestly and not in a romanticized "I wish it was like this fashion.
    Thanks for reading and welcome any comments cheers!
    Aaron Coen, Nebraska City Guard
    A. P. Coen
Working...
X