Glennan, Duncan "Tait" Jacket information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glennan, Duncan "Tait" Jacket information

I know its a long shot, but does anyone out there have any photographs on the Lt M Glennan, Pvt HL Duncan or G Gouge "Tait" jackets?
    I am trying to do some research on these jackets but a lack of images of these jackets is a big problem.
    I have seen pictures of the Gouge, and Duncan jackets in EOG, but does anyone have any images they could share fom private visits to examine these jackets?

Regards
    David Burt, England.
    David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Re: Glennan, Duncan "Tait" Jacket information

Hi,
    I had some recent correspondence with Dave on a related topic - i.e obtaining pictures of the 63rd Tennessee Tait (Infantry blue faced collar and shoulder straps) that some say was lost in 2005's Hurricane Katrina, and some say was not! I understand that it was on display at Jefferson Davis's former home "Beauvoir" in Mississippi in a display called "A Bounty from Ireland" and may have been safely removed before Katrina struck. I tried the curator for a picture (and information about the jacket and it's fate) without success. If anyone remembers seeing the jacket in that display and remembers enough to comment on it - I'm sure that would be of interest to Dave?
    Also - if anyone has any 'leads' on tracking down pictures or further information on this elusive jacket I'm sure a PM to Dave would be much appreciated. It sounds like a worthwhile project Dave is embarking on that I for one look forward to very much.

Regards
    Last edited by PaulJ; 05-08-2009, 06:26 AM.
    Paul Jonsson (England, UK)

Comment

I saw this in an article from Southern Hertiage PAC dated September 2005:

Here is an excerpt from that article that may help to provide an answer:

"The jacket of a confederate soldier was found suspended from a bush, along with other flotsam and jetsam. "

Heartbreaking as it is to think of these priceless artifacts as flotsam and jetsam, I am thankful that at least some of these items were recovered. However, I cannot imagine that a 140 year old jacket could have been in good conidtion after Hurricane force winds and water got to it.

Regards,

Dan
      Dan Limb
      One of THEM!

"In the moment of action, remember the value of silence and order" -- Phormio of Athens

"Your first duty is to get a decent hat. You cannot hope to do more. You should never wish to do less"

Direct Descendent of
      James M. Hergesheimer, Co. A. 20th Iowa Infantry

Capt. James G. Campbell, Co. F., 19th Illinois Infantry. Wounded at Missionary Ridge

Comment

The Gouge jacket is of course pictured in the Les Jensen article from the Company of Military Historian's website. It rests at the Greensboro Museum of History. However a recent trip shows it's not on display at the moment. Maybe a good chance to examine it up close?

The visit is worth it without the Gouge jacket as it has many of the 140 Confederate weapons from the Murphy Collection on display.

The Jensen article has several details listed on the Gouge jacket.

Good luck.

Mark Berrier
        North State Rifles
        Mark Berrier

Comment

Working...
        X