Painted Cloth Accoutrements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted Cloth Accoutrements

I'm trying to construct some painted cloth accoutrements. There was a fine line available at www.homespunwares.com but the guy who owns the site had to move in july of '08 as a result he's not taking any more orders.

My question is if anyone knows anything about the details of painted leather accoutrements (such as cartridge boxes, cap pouches,bayonet scabbards or waist belts).

Because I don't seem to be able to find a kepi made of jean wool with a painted cloth brim anywhere. I'd like to try to make one of those as well. If anyone knows any details about these also, I would be much oblidged if they would share such info.

Thanx in advance
    Frank Charles

Re: Painted Cloth Accoutrements

Having responded to a mention of painted cloth in mass quantities this morning. I wonder how many reenactorlings still use the wonderful, but all to brief "Potter's Patented Haversack & Knapsack Paint, 1864" article by Steve Osman. It's a good thing to keep around, and it is one of the few I keep in an archival quality sleeve. This article also includes the final finishing step most makers neglect. Well worth reading it is.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

There are many reputable vendors making painted cloth brim kepis to include, but not limited to, Greg Starbuck, Dirty Billy, Don Smith (TMD), NJS, and Joe Blunt
      Ross L. Lamoreaux
      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Kiev Thomaston(Traveling Man's Emporium), is doing kepi's with painted cloth brims. Also check out the Dirty Back Boys. They might not have it on their list of items, but they will work with you on almost anything. I don't think they're on the approved vendor list, but do sell things thru many who are. I've just ordered a painted cloth accoutrement set from them. The set was highly recommended by a fellow forum member who purchased one, and their prices are great. Eric is a pleasant guy to do business with.

D.W. Scalf
        D.W.(Trace)Scalf
        19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
        [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
        George Santayana

Comment

Ive just gotten through ordering a painted cloth set from Butch Meyers and his work is first rate for sure. Pricey, but worth it.

Ronnie
          Ronnie Hull
          Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
          Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
          Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
          2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
          Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

Originally posted by [I
            "Potter's Patented Haversack & Knapsack Paint, 1864" [/I]article by Steve Osman. It's a good thing to keep around, and it is one of the few I keep in an archival quality sleeve. This article also includes the final finishing step most makers neglect. Well worth reading it is.
            Could you take this out of your archival sleeve to share with us? Or, is there anywhere online that has the article?
            Respectfully,
            -Kyle M. Stetz
            Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

Just to throw another name out for you, a fine gent by the name of Leighton Young used to produce some right nice painted accouterments based on surviving Williams Brands specimens, like those seen in the CS EOG. When I've spoken with him in the past, he's always been outgoing and he might be willing to "talk shop" with you regarding dimensions, construction details, etc.

Here's some contact info, from an older website:
              Leighton Young
              10800 Alpharetta Highway
              St. 200, L-5
              Roswell, GA
              (404) 604-9478
              Painted cloth accoutrements. Atlanta, Augusta, Baton Rouge and French accoutrements. Variant bayonet scabbard ID'd to Chickamauga.

I believe the boys in the Atlanta area know him pretty well, and one of them may be able to hook you up with him if he's still making them and/or any of the info above has changed. Good luck.
              Last edited by Gallinipper; 05-16-2009, 09:47 PM. Reason: added contact info
              Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Missouri Boot and Shoe just sent out a painted cloth cartridge box and cap pouch that were really first rate. They had wood finnials that were perfectly matched to originals. They are not on the web site yet, but if you contact Mr. Serio via e-mail or telephone I'm sure he can assist you.
                Chris Houk
                Van Buren Boys Mess

VIII

These were men-
                Whom power could not corrupt
                Whom Death could not terrify
                Whom defeat could not dishonor

-Confederate Cemetery Marker at Fayetteville, AR

Comment

I assure you all that I have read and read and read on this one, but am still unclear on instructions. I am about to begin work on a painted cloth valise. I have read every recipe on painting cloth I can find on this site and others. While I know about sizing both sides and painting one side with my lamp black mixture, I continually read about a second mixture of clear linseed oil, mineral spirits, and Japan dryer to be applied. Is that to be applied over the painted side, or on the unpainted side ??? Please guys, throw me a bone on this one, I am confused.
                  John Greg Tucker
                  Greg Tucker

Comment

Painted side.
                    Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

Working...
                    X