Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri "Secesh" wooden Cart. Box

Wow,
    Check out what Ole' Champion Hill Johnny has on his site. It looks like it passed the inspection of the authentication gooroos to boot. Its almost like one of those early militia boxes from the Rev. War, and looks pretty easy to make. Looks like there is some stitching on the belt loops, so it may have been crafted from parts of other things.

Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
    16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
    Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Re: Missouri "Secesh" wooden Cart. Box

Wow, that is really neat! It really makes you wonder what all of the other homemade equipage looked like that followed the men throughout Missouri. I think a guy could get pretty creative.

Drew Bruner
    "Cockrell's Missouri Brigade was the best on either side, including the Stonewall Brigade and the Iron Brigade of the North," - Ed Bearss

Comment

Wow is right! That looks pretty crude. Only holds eight cartridges? It's hard to get a real feeling of scale, but it doesn't look all that much bigger than a cap pouch. Can't help but wonder if the soldier carried more than one?
      Brett Gibbons
      3rd Rgt. C.S. Engineers, Co. E.

Comment

Hey Drew and Brett,
        Your right. Especially for a government and army created overnight with establishing regulations for arms and equipment. Missouri was stuck out there a little on her own resources in a lot of areas. They were just about cut off entirely from everything with her Southern gov't. in exile.

My friend Bob Serio once told me something very enlightening about the uniforms and material culture from this era. He put it simply; figure all existing things tangible now in photographs and relics, and compare with what did exist, total, (men in the armies). That figure, all though I have not tried to tally it, must be pretty great. When taking that into consideration it often helps me to make a decision with constructing a garment, for example. If you use the correct materials, construction method, and have at least an existing article to examine, it would be hard to argue that it did not exist.

One always has to come at this with a fairly open mind. This wooden block with a nail and a leather strap tacked on it is proof of that. ;)

Little Rock Castle No. 1

Comment

Wow. A fellow from our unit came out to a shoot a few years ago with a box he had made that looked just like this one and we all had a good laugh at him..... Guess we shouldn't have done so :P
          Capt. Kris Larson 32°
          Wasatch Lodge #1 F&AM Utah
          Worshipful Master, Uintah Lodge #7 F&AM Utah
          Camp Floyd Historic Lodge #205 F&AM Utah
          Rocky Mountain #11 F&AM Utah
          El Kalah Shrine

Co I 4th Texas
          Iron Rooster Mess
          [I][SIZE="1"]"Nothin's harder than a metal cock!"[/SIZE][/I]

Comment

I saved some pics of it for ref.

Little Rock Castle No. 1

Comment

Wow, that's really something. It's probably not too much of a stretch to suppose this fellow molded his own ammunition on occasion, as well.
              Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Working...
              X