X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbecue, Charleston, 1863

The Charleston Mercury
    December 22, 1863
    Title: TOURNAMENT AND BARBECUE - ST. PETER'S GUARD.

TOURNAMENT AND BARBECUE - ST. PETER'S GUARD.

Captain SMART'S fine cavalry company complimented the ladies of Hardeeville and the vicinity with a handsome entertainment, near their camp, on Wednesday, 16th instant. There was tilting at the head and ring; a cavalry drill, and also a drill on foot, as light infantry. The dinner was amply provided, a good many extra sized turkeys and geese meeting their fate in advance of the usual Christmas killing. The feature of the occasion, however, was the presence of a large party of ladies, many of whom had journeyed for thirty miles to be with the gallant swordsmen. It is almost needless to say that not a few of the gentle visitors were surprisingly beautiful, and the only accident that occurred, was occasioned by a dashing cavalier rashly venturing a glance at a most lovely girl while giving point at the ring - he not only lost his aim, but almost his seat, and came off from the contest a little damaged, but in no wise cured of his habit of gazing at the beautiful. - Among the military guests present were Colonel C. J. COLCOCK and Lieutenant-Colonel J. H. JOHNSON, 3d S. C. Cavalry, and others from the neighboring camps.

The St. PeterGuard is made up of a fine body of young men from St. PeterParish and Lower Barnwell, and are in excellent training.

Re: Barbecue, Charleston, 1863

Thanks for the post Kathy.Goes to show you that even during the blockade and the rest of the south is in desperation,the Charleston elite can still party.
    It would not suprise me if the St. Peter Guard are buddies with the Charleston Light Dragoons.Mr. P. Lewis,Mr. White,your comments?
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Re: Barbecue, Charleston, 1863

When I first saw this, I thought it was an event post!!!!!!!!! What a cool event right?
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
      X