• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sack coat color

Hallo!

Correct...

It is NOT about adding red pigment or dye to the blue to get "purples."

I was talking about the differences between the behavior of light color mixtures (additive color) and the behavior of pigment or dye mixtures (subtractive color).

The absorption of light by material substances follows different rules from the perception of light by the eye. So, light color behaves differently than
    pigment or dye colors.

Curt
    Farbenmeister Mess
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

If you can get your hands on it, you might also want to read the fine CMH article on the subject. There were a LOT of variations in hue and even in materials used.
      Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Originally posted by paulcalloway View Post
        About 10 years ago, John Wedeward sent me this image of various original sack coats at the National Museum. It shows a lot of color variation in original coats - most of you that have examined original coats have noted similar degrees of contrast, I've seen it myself.

Although, I have never seen one as light as the one indicated in the original post. I would condemn that one and chalk it up to a learning experience.

I believe the photo credit on this image actually belongs to Paul McKee.
        Thanks Paul; you are correct. I took that photo back in 1986 on one of four visits to the Smithsonian for sack coat research. I shared my photos with Wedeward who was not present on any of those visits. I certainly wish I had the photo equipment and lighting I have now to have done the subject justice.

The 4th sack coat from the left just happens to be a Schuylkill Arsenal piece and is the lightest color of the lot. Although it is the lightest and brightest wool I have ever seen on an original, it is nowhere near so bright and electric a shade as the subject repro one. Incidently, this original SA sack coat also had several other construction features that would be considered out of the norm as well.

Paul McKee
        Paul McKee

Comment

Having done a close survey of the SA sack that Paul mentions I would concur that it is nowhere near the "electric" blue of the one in question, just a light shade of indigo. If memory serves, it is a characteristic of true indigo that it darkens as it ages, not lightens.
          Only sack I have seen that color was worn by RatBoy at Averasboro many many moons ago. He had to put up with his share of abuse for it too!
          Christopher Wilson

Comment

Thank you gentlemen, that answered my question.
            Jan H.Berger
            Hornist

German Mess
            http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Hallo!

As Herr Craig mentioned...

He could dye it darker.

(Intact, it would dye the lining as well. However, the lining could be removed, the body dyed, and the lining reinstalled.)

Curt
              Richtiger Farbenmeister Mess
              Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Curt, that is true, perhaps he will give it a try. By the way it is not really "electric blue" it depends on the light of course. A good tint draker and it would be a fine indo dark blue.
                Jan H.Berger
                Hornist

German Mess
                http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

I noticed some here used good reproductions as a comparison base for this coat. My suggestion is to compare it to originals which are easily found in museums today. Since I believe the coat in question is in Europe it may be beneficial for someone to send Herr Berger a high resolution picture of an original (if I had one handy I would). Remember, every time we copy a copy, there is always something lost in the reproduction.

Now for what it's worth, the picture seems to show a fabric that is a bit off on the color but I don't know how much of that may be the quality of the picture more so than the fabric.

Just a suggestion.
                  Robert Collett
                  8th FL / 13th IN
                  Armory Guards
                  WIG

Comment

Hallo!

Yes lighting and one's monitor can make radical differences in color range and intensity.

Lads may want to adjust their monitors:

:) :)

Curt
                    Farbenmeister
                    Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

As Paul McKee mentioned, the images on John Wedeward's web site were not taken by Weed, but by Paul McKee himself...Weed was not even present, but I and Brain Baird were. There is indeed a wide variety of shades in Fatigue Blouses that we examined at the Smithsonian and in other private collections, but nothing that light of a shade and "Bright" of a blue.
                      Scott Cross
                      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

My suggestion is to compare it to originals which are easily found in museums today.
                        Could you please advise of a museum where one or more original sack coats can easily be viewed? So is the Smithsonian gonna love it if I walk through the doors and politely ask to "ooh and aah" over the selection of Federal uniforms? Last I remember it was getting harder to look at original artifacts in detail with out a specific and new reason to do so.
                        Clark Badgett
                        [url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member14302.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Badgett View Post
                          Could you please advise of a museum where one or more original sack coats can easily be viewed? So is the Smithsonian gonna love it if I walk through the doors and politely ask to "ooh and aah" over the selection of Federal uniforms? Last I remember it was getting harder to look at original artifacts in detail with out a specific and new reason to do so.
                          Clark,

Depending on your location there are other institutions, that have Federal Fatigue Blouses in their collections, that may be closer than the Smithsonian. Yes, it is getting harder to get into out National Museum, unfortunately. Rock Island Arsenal Museum has one, Milwaukee Public Museum has one, and I think the Quartermaster Museum in Petersburg, Virginia has one. I am sure there are others, but those are just a few that pop into my head at the moment.
                          Scott Cross
                          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
                            Clark,

Depending on your location there are other institutions, that have Federal Fatigue Blouses in their collections, that may be closer than the Smithsonian. Yes, it is getting harder to get into out National Museum, unfortunately. Rock Island Arsenal Museum has one, Milwaukee Public Museum has one, and I think the Quartermaster Museum in Petersburg, Virginia has one. I am sure there are others, but those are just a few that pop into my head at the moment.
                            Some other please I can think of is the Gettysburg museum and the Harrisburg civil war museum both have sack coats in their collections. I know Pamplin Park also has one on display and there are a few in the west point collection as well. I always wonder how many are still tucked away in small historical societies and back rooms we don't even know about.

Regards,
                            -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
                            93rd New York Coffee Cooler
                            [I]
                            "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
                            [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerJager View Post
                              I always wonder how many are still tucked away in small historical societies and back rooms we don't even know about.

Regards,
                              That reminds me, there is one in Dayton, Ohio at the Montgomery County Historical Society that I saw a number of years ago. I think the Camp Dennison Civil War Museum near Cincinnati, may also have one.
                              Scott Cross
                              "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Chicago Historical Society used to have several, but I know they did some major housecleaning a number of years ago for a more "focused" collection.

Paul McKee
                                Paul McKee

Comment

Working...
                                X