Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sack coat color

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
    That reminds me, there is one in Dayton, Ohio at the Montgomery County Historical Society that I saw a number of years ago. I think the Camp Dennison Civil War Museum near Cincinnati, may also have one.
    Yeah you're right about Camp Dennison - I remember Dave Barno talking about that one.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by CompanyWag View Post
      Chicago Historical Society used to have several, but I know they did some major housecleaning a number of years ago for a more "focused" collection.

Paul McKee
      They sold them all to the Milwaukee Public Museum.
      Scott Cross
      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
        They sold them all to the Milwaukee Public Museum.
        So I suppose we should add the Milwaukee Public Museum to the list, then.;)

Is that one at RIA (Browning Museum) the same one Doral Garrison used to tote around?...the one that had damage in the gut area? That was the first sack coat I ever got real "intimate" with back in the early 70's.

Paul McKee
        Last edited by CompanyWag; 06-10-2009, 09:04 PM.
        Paul McKee

Comment

i agree Arthur,a little to bright for me! the pic you put there is what i would think of light blue...that light of blue is for overcoats!
          Charlie Newman
          Co.E 37th Virginia
          Wampus Cats Mess
          Southern Guard Drum Corp
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."-Robert E. Lee

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."-Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I think a lot of the items on display at the Camp Dennison Museum were on loan from a local collector...Larry Marple I think? Last I heard the bulk of the items were reclaimed by the owners and the museum has practically shuttered it's doors. Someone still in the Greater Cincinnati area could confirm or deny this.

Don't forget the large number of private collectors who have blouses in their collections. Many I've seen are the late-war produced, likely unissued, ubiquitous J.T. Martin blouse but sometimes there's something different.
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Hallo Kameraden,

what do you think about to rework the sackcoat to a Civillian style by removing the Pocket seams, close the opening, ad 2 or 4 Pockets, change the Buttons, and maybe add 3 more Buttons ?
              Christof Bastert a.k.a Charles Kaiser, Private,
              Co D, 17th Mo Vol Inf (Re)

In Memory of Anthony and Joseph Schaer,
              Borlands Regiment/ 62nd Ark. Militia/Adams Inf./Cokes Inf.

German Mess

Comment

Originally posted by GreencoatCross View Post
                Don't forget the large number of private collectors who have blouses in their collections. Many I've seen are the late-war produced, likely unissued, ubiquitous J.T. Martin blouse but sometimes there's something different.
                Actually, just this past winter I saw photos of a late war SA sack coat that came out of the woodwork from a family that was snatched up into the private market. If I recall correctly the coat was drawn right before the soldier mustered and was pretty much unworn.

Also, isn’t there a sack coat in the Atlanta History Museum? Some one who’s more familiar with this museum might be able to verify this but I remember hearing they had one in their collection as well.

Regards,
                -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
                93rd New York Coffee Cooler
                [I]
                "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
                [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

Hallo!

"what do you think about to rework the sackcoat to a Civillian style by removing the Pocket seams, close the opening, ad 2 or 4 Pockets, change the Buttons, and maybe add 3 more Buttons"

IMHO.. moerglichweise....

For exmaple, I could possibly see replacing the "stand and fall" collar with a laid down one, keeping the upper button or eliminating it, and replacing the military buttons.
                  And a pair of pockets for the bottom front.

IMHO still, I would not add more buttons.

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I no longer have an original sack coat, but I have good swatch samples of three of them still in my collection. Anyone who sees me is more than welcome to view them (as several of you know). Anyway, none of them come anywhere near as bright and light as the one in question here.
                    I might suggest Ben Tart as having a good lighter shade of sack coat cloth available. A good friend just presented me with the most killer SA sack coat reproduction I have ever seen (Miller Award quality!!) made from that cloth. A garment I will treasure for life.
                    Spence Waldron~
                    Coffee cooler

"Straggled out and did not catch up."

Comment

Hey Jan

Might be worth dying it for Confederate use, that than trying and missing for the correct Union colour.

I do not think anybody in the UK/Europe has got a dyed sack coat! Heck, if the right size and price are right, I might even buy it!

Cheers
                      Ian Smith
                      55th Virginia

"We think from the movments that there is something out [there] but we can tell what!" Thomas Hooper, Diary for
                      27th December 1862@ Murfreesboro - Enlisted 1861, wounded at Perryville, Murfreesboro and Missionary Ridge, killed at Franklin.

Comment

Working...
                      X