Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Skillet vs. fry pan

Hank,
    As a young man growing up on farm, my grandmother(PA Dutch as you can get) had both skillet's and frying pans. It didn't matter what they were made from, be it aluminum or cast iron. A frying pan was about and inch to an inch and a half deep. Skillets 3 or 4 inches deep and kettles were; well kettles. She always used her skillets when she was making some sauce, gravy or something that needed simmered for some period of time, because of the more even heat distribution. Did that make sense?
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
    Past President Potomac Legion
    Long time member Columbia Rifles
    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyDave View Post
      Hank,
      As a young man growing up on farm, my grandmother(PA Dutch as you can get) had both skillet's and frying pans. It didn't matter what they were made from, be it aluminum or cast iron. A frying pan was about and inch to an inch and a half deep. Skillets 3 or 4 inches deep and kettles were; well kettles. She always used her skillets when she was making some sauce, gravy or something that needed simmered for some period of time, because of the more even heat distribution. Did that make sense?
      Wow. Sure did. That would fit exactly with what I've seen a lot in the period.

Hank Trent
      hanktrent@gmail.com
      Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyDave View Post
        Hank,
        3 to 4 inches deep would be deep enough to boil eggs as mentioned in a previous post and the water come to a boil quicker in something like that than it would in a pot or kettle. That makes since to me. Interesting discussion.
        Jerry Orange
        Horse sweat and powder smoke; two of my favorite smells.

Comment

According to the Larousse Gastronomique they are the same thing. “A round or oval pan with a long handle, used for frying or sautéing food”, it then gives care, descriptions, uses of them, and specialized variations.
          Andrew Grim
          The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
          x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
          Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
          Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewGrim View Post
            According to the Larousse Gastronomique...
            From a quick search, it looks like the Larousse Gastronomique was first published in France in 1938. Was there an earlier edition?

Hank Trent
            hanktrent@gmail.com
            Hank Trent

Comment

Hank, You are correct; I looked at the wrong line the origianal auther Prosper Montagne was born in 1865.
              Andrew Grim
              The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
              x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
              Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
              Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Working...
              X