Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat NC Image

From HA.com:
    Sixth Plate Ambrotype of a North Carolina Infantryman. Thirty-year-old James C. Moore poses in this ruby ambrotype as a private in Company D, 55th North Carolina Infantry. Along with a determined look, he wears an exceedingly tall gray forage cap and a frock coat trimmed in black at the collar and cuffs. Moore enlisted in May 1862, serving at Camp Magnum and Camp Johnson, N.C. before succumbing to typhoid fever at Goldsboro on October 10, 1862. Moore's unit would go on to a distinguished history with the Army of Northern Virginia. The image is clear, in its original case and accompanied by copies of a history of Moore and his family written by one of his descendants.
    Check out the trim on the sleeves. Almost looks like Sgt. chevrons, but poor Mr. Moore did not last four full months in the army and did not rise above the rank of Pvt.
    Here is a close up of the 2nd to last button. Enjoy.
    Attached Files
    Rich Taddeo
    Shocker Mess
    "Don't do it, you're going to get hurt." Jerry Stiles @ Sky Meadows moments before I fell and broke my leg.

Re: Neat NC Image

I haven't seen this one yet! Almost looks like a rain cover on his hat. That thing is huge! Cool find.
    Wade Rogers

Comment

Could be non-military buttons, but they sure do have the same pattern as sunburst buttons.

-Craig Schneider
      Craig Schneider

Comment

They look to be more star like than the sunburst buttons.
        Derek Carpenter
        Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

haven't found anything with the 28th NC Inf have you?

Comment

Greg Mast is currently writing Volume II of "State Troops and Volunteers; a photograghic history of NC troops". He is requesting or looking for pics of NC troops for this project currently underway. Have you or the Moore family submitted this pic to him? I'm sure he would be glad to have it and use it. You can email it to Greg at:

greg.mast@statetroopsandvolunteers.com

title it: "Images for State Troops and Volunteers 2"

here is the website for the project:

http://statetroopsandvolunteers.com/

I know this pic is not in volume I.

The chevrons like this are typical trim to early militia uniforms. I believe they were ornimentation.

A pretty neat photo. Thanks for posting it! I think Co D originated in Anson County, NC
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Prodical Reb; 06-10-2009, 12:25 AM.
            [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
            Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
            [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
            Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
            Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
            The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Camp Mangum was located near Raleigh, NC.
              [SIZE=1]Your Obt. Servant,[/SIZE]
              Tyler Murphy
              6th N.C.S.T
              [I]"The Shirkers Mess"[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Beasley View Post
                haven't found anything with the 28th NC Inf have you?
                I had a relative in the 28th NC. If you (Dale) or anyone else gets 28th NC info I'd love to get copies or be informed. Thanks.

Russ Spry
                GGGrandson of Richard Louis Cates, Pvt 28th NC, Point Lookout POW
                Russell M. Spry
                19th Alabama

Comment

Sir, The closeup of the button looks a bit like a six sided star and a circle in the center. Here is a link with a N.C. militia button.

Nice image, thanks for bringing it in.

Russell and Dale, my wife had three great grand uncles in the 28th Regiment North Carolina Troops, Co.s D, and K. I have copies of the regiments history, (12) pages. I am holding the book of the 28ths Co. rosters now. PM me a note with your address and I'll pass along a copy of the 28th Regiments history if you like.

"North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865 A Roster, compiled by W.T.Jordan, Jr."
                  If I may quote,

"Co. G, this Co., known as the "Guards of Independence," was raised in Orange County where it enlisted on Sept. 2, 1861. It was then mustered into service and assigned to the 28th Regiment as Co. G. After joining the regiment the company functioned as a part of the regiment, and its history for the war period is reported as part of the regimental history."

Cates, Richard L., Private, Company G, 28th Regiment N.C.Troops
                  Resided in Orange County where he enlisted at age 19, Sept. 2, 1861. Wounded at Gaines' Mill, Va., June 27, 1862. Returned to duty subsequent to Oct. 31, 1862. Captured at Falling Waters, Md., July 14, 1863. Confined at Point Lookout, Md. Paroled and transferred to Cox's Wharf, James river, Va., where he was received Feb. 20-21, 1865 for exchange.

For Dale,
                  Crabtree, Dallas, Private, Co. G, 28th Regiment N.C. Troops
                  Resided in Orange County where he enlisted at age 16, in Feb., 1863, for the war. Captured at Spotesylvania Court House, Va., May 12, 1864. Confined at Point Lookout, Md. Paroled and transferred to Boulware's Wharf, James River, Va., where he was received on March 19, 1865, for exchange.

If I may, these are the Co. names and muster in service dates for the 28th. Regiment N.C.Troops.

Co. A, "Surry Regulators", Surry County, May 4, 1861
                  Co. B, "Gaston Invincibles", Gaston County, July 30, 1861
                  Co. C, "South Fork Farmers", Catawba County, Aug. 13, 1861
                  Co. D,"Stanly Yankee Hunters", Stanly County, July 29, 1861
                  Co. E, "Montgomery Greys", Montgomery County, Aug. 1, 1861
                  Co. F, "Yadkin Boys", Yadkin County, June 18, 1861
                  Co. G,"Guards of Independence", Orange County, Sept. 2, 1861
                  Co. H, "Cleveland Regulators", Cleveland County, Aug. 22, 1861
                  Co. I, "Yadkin Stars", Yadkin County, Aug. 13, 1861
                  Co. K, "Stanly Guards", Stanly County, Sept. 7, 1861
                  Last edited by yeoman; 06-27-2009, 04:02 PM. Reason: add co. names
                  Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                  Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                  Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                  www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

We have some info on the 28th NCT at Petersburg on our website.

I've also attached a Hillsborough Military Academy button for grins and giggles.

Mark Berrier
                    North state Rifles
                    Attached Files
                    Mark Berrier

Comment

Hey you Tar Heals,

Thanks for doing what you do. Dallas was My GGGUncle, you are correct, but we have always refered to him as our GGGrandfather, and it is a sad story behind that. He was enlisted to take the place of his father Simpson, who was getting old (in his 40s I recall). He joined up with two other cousins, one was killed at Gettysburg. The other we will not speak of. There is a deposition from him in order for his cousins wife to receive a pension. he stated " we made it as far as the road during The Charge because it was sence less to go futher. , his cousin took a hit in the stomach, had to leave him there, and it made me so sad said Dallas."

Dallas returned to Mississippi where his family had a large farm. He farmed 800 acre plantation. Had a Son and Daughter. Son died at 8 years old, wife just days later,and on his sons tombstone it read, "My Dreams are Buried here" His daughter later became a concert pianist, her husband to be was killed in WW1. She died years later, never left her house and just played the pianio till she died and never remarried.

My Grandmother spoke of him often, he was a ladys man. Played cards, dranked alot, and sat on his front porch. Never remarried.

But having been to war myself, however never seeing what he did to his degree, and at such a young age, I can understand why he just sat on his porch and dranked.

Anyway, I go to his grave from time to time and leave a flag and a NC Button, his wife was a Baptist and he was buried at that church, and he never went to church again. Sad story, but I understand him even having never known him.

Wish I had a picture, but don't just of his nephews.

I do have a picture of my GGGrandfather HON. James Edward Walker Grace who rode with N B Forest.

One more langyep,
                      I did met one time the GGGrandson of General Lane, he was a COL, I met him at Ft McCoy WI.
                      Last edited by Dale Beasley; 06-27-2009, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Hey all....

Even though I was born and raised in yankee land, and don Federal blue at events, my Gradmother always told me of my North Carolina kin folk. I have a few stories posted on my blog here on the AC. Will post pictures when I get some.
                        Last edited by lambrew; 06-28-2009, 01:32 AM.
                        Your humble servant....
                        Sean Collicott
                        [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
                        [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Mr. Beasley, Mr. Spry, Mr. Hadden....

Along with what Mr. Hadden has on hand, check out "The Catawba Solider Of The Civil War" by Prof. Geo. W. Hahn. That is where the Drum Family books got their info on David Drum, Co. C. 28th N.C. Infantry. I hope this helps. It is interesting that we four all have relatives from the same regiment. If I can help any further let me know. I Googled it, and find that you may still may be able to get reprints.
                          Your humble servant....
                          Sean Collicott
                          [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
                          [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Mel...sent an e-mail. Your profile won't let me sent PMs?

Mark, good info on the 28th NC. Thanks.

Richard Louis Cates returned to Orange County, NC and lived there until his death. He is buried in the Cane Creek Cemetery next to the Cane Creek Baptist Church his family started back in the 1700s.
                            Russell M. Spry
                            19th Alabama

Comment

Working...
                            X