Need help for Tx uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help for Tx uniform

New to this site. Lot's of really great info, learning a lot, spending more time on the PC than I need to because of it.

Now retired in Virginia, I shoot with the N-SSA as a member of the Dismal Swamp Rangers Co. A 3rd Va. Reg. However, we are allowed to represent other units or be a civilian during certain competition days. I've been studying the history of units engaged in the southwest (El PasoTx/NM) where I'm originally from. Anyway, please take a look at the picture of Cpl Enrique D’Hamel 2nd Texas Reg. Mounted Rifles Co. D San Elisario Spies and Guides.

J. Mayo posted this earlier before I knew about this site under Civil War Images forum titled "Recognize this uniform". Got some comments from that thread but I believe this thread might yield more info.

The Cpl.:

He wrote he enlisted April 1, 1861 in El Paso. There is no mention so far that I can find as to the unit's equipage other than they fell into some Springfield muskets after an engagement with some Federals. I'm thinking this is a 7 button frock coat but I'm not sure. As mentioned in the other thread he wears a typical roller buckle belt, but what kind of trousers might be these be? Looks like the collar might be piped and has 3 button cuffs both black? What would be typical foorwear or headgear for this area/uniform? After reading a bit about campaigns in the southwest, I'm fairly sure this would not be his field uniform at least not for long and would probably be more likely to be in some kind of civilian dress or combination but I've not been able to get a good idea of what that could be. I do remember reading that at one point, the unit re-supplied in El Paso prior to entering Ft. Bliss and going on to New Mexico. A mention was made of some of the men in the unit purchasing some jeans. Would like to find out more about the type of jeans that might be sold at that time.

I am also considering using the picture of this unknown Tejano unionist as the template for what a Confederado of the southwest may have used. So any comments about this photo would be appreciated:

Thanks for any help with this.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Gil Garcia
    Co. A, 3rd Virgina Reg.
    Dismal Swamp Rangers
    The Swamp Rats[/FONT]

Re: Need help for Tx uniform

Hallo!

My guess is that he would not work for a CW era impression, as I suspect the pistol cartridge loops on his belt would likely date the picture as post 1871/1872ish at the earliest:

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

This is my GGG grandfather's unit, therefore I am interested in this also.

I don't have an answer to your specific question, but for a Glorietta timeframe sketch of soldiers in this unit, check out:

Thompson, J.D. 1990. Westward the Texans: the Civil War Journal of Private William Randolph Howell. El Paso: Texas Western.

I hope you find this interesting.
      Jonathan Vaughan
      14th Tennessee
      3rd Missouri

Comment

Gents,

This so called "confederado", the 2nd linked photo (large image posted in by Curt) is post-war without a doubt. That is likely a '72 Sharps and his holster (with cartridge looped belt) probably packs a converted colt, a '72 open-top, or even a '73 Colt - or a few other possibilities.

As to the Confederates that participated in the invasion of New Mexico, there are a number of good books on this subject. The general understanding has been that for the most part, mounted and dismounted Confederates were not consistantly uniformed for the most part - with some exceptions. Many of the officers did wear CSA uniforms, and some of the enlisted fellows did too, but the majority of the Texans probably wore Civilian duds mixed with Federal Gear (including in some cases Federal sack coats). US Army stores were taken early in the campaign.

But, many of the experts on the battles of Valverde, Glorieta, and the even more distant scrapes of Picacho and Apache Pass maintain that the Texans involved were more often dressed in civilian clothes with a mismatch of Federal gear etc.

-Sam Dolan
        Samuel K. Dolan
        1st Texas Infantry
        SUVCW

Comment

Working...
        X