Unknown Frock Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Frock Coat

My parents were at a yard sale where one of their 80+ year old friends had died. His daughter gave us what she called "That old Confederate coat". All that she knew is that it belonged to her grandmother. The amazing thing is that it is in pristine condition, reproduction or not. It is completely handstitched, inside and out. The sleeves are lined with striped cotton. The buttons are metal and cloth covered with "ROEHM BROS." on the back of them. The sleeves at one point had crosses stitched on, but they were not there when we got it. See what you think of this. She wanted to just give it to us, but when Dad refused to take it for nothing, she offered it to us for $5!

KofC

I'm thinking Knights of Columbus.
    John Pillers
    Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Re: Unknown Frock Coat

Knights of Columbus, ehh? Thanks for the help!

Aaron Holley

Comment

The cross on the sleeve would have been red, and yes, it is a fraternal organization coat from the early 20th century, most I have seen were from the Knights of Pythius. There is usually a printed label with the members name sewn inside the interior breast pocket, named and dated.
        Five dollars was a fair price if you can wear it to shovel snow in the winter.
        S.Sullivan

Comment

I agree- I also have one that looks exactly like it. Striped sleeves and everything. Though the one I have is not in near as good of shape.
          V/R
          [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I've seen literally dozens of these types of coats, most in black, dark green, or dark blue.

I agree with the opinions already stated here. The metal buttons with cloth fronts are a give-away, as are the striped sleeve linings. Lack of quilting in the chest is another hint. And look at the remnant stitching on the sleeve; that is where the insignia would have been located. At some point it fell off or was removed.

Check the insides of the coat's chest pockets when you get a chance; there could be a label in there, with a date, manufacturer, and possibly the name of who it was made for. Pettibone Bros. was a huge distributor and maker of these types of coats.
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Brandon, is that the infamous Father Donaldson coat?
              Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
              My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Hey Bob!
                Actually, yes! I believe I have two of them though. Man, what a memory huh?
                "How long has it been since your last confession"
                LOL

See ya at Ushers
                V/R
                [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I got this Frock Coat with a matching pair of pants, both in the same color of Black for about $20, $10 for each. I know it is a military style, since it has nine button holes. However, I do not know if it is correct or not. Since I have seen Frock Coats in blue, the color of the Union Sack Coats. Additionally, I know that the frock Coats have piping on them, Blue for Inf, Red for Art and Yellow for Cav. I just do not know what was the reason for this color of coat.

It has some bad spots on it, that need to be repaired, like the left sleeve is not attached at the underarm, a few quick patches and some small cuts/tears/rips on both the inside and outside. I added six military buttons to the front so I could wear it at an event, and it already had four small buttons on the tail. Moreover, there is a pocket in each tail that I did not know about until someone told me. But they did not know what the purpose for the black color was.

It was suggested, that it could have been a cadet frock coat, a civil frock coat, a Chaplin frock coat or a Knights Templar coat. I originally posted this on the Civil War Reenactors Forum and a few said I should post it here as well. I am curious to know which it is, and rather I should try to get it fixed up, and any help will be welcomed. Looking at the pictures, i seem to have the same style of coat, although the one I got has a quilted inside. I have included some pictures and I had to add the 6 buttos ont he front, as the only ones on it when I got it, was the four ont he back and the one near the collar. Thank you in advance.

[SIZE="4"][B]Pvt. John Seever[/B][/SIZE]
                  [B][SIZE="2"]25th Missouri Volunteers, Muddy River Battalion[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Stripes in the sleeve are generally a good assumption that its post 1880s. Generally.
                    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

There used to be reenactors who would wear those black fraternal coats sans decorations as a federal dress coat. The few that I have seen are well made, and of really nice cloth inside and out. Ive never seen one decorated though.

Ken Irvin
                      TSM
                      Ken Irvin

Comment

I made a trip to the Frontier History Museum at Fort Leavenworth today and talked with one of the people there on the frock coat. After looking at it and checking a book that was I think titled The US Army Uniform, 1857, and reading the description said that the frock coat is based on the 1857 Pattern minus the color of material.

Due to the material being black, instead of the dark blue of the sack coat and a watch pocket on the right side of the coat, he said that due to those two facts it could not be used as a military frock coat, even though it is based off the military pattern. However, he said that if I wanted to use it for a civilian impression, that it would fit in, since most civilian cloths were based on military patterns.

So I came off good for the $10.00 I paid for the coat, although I cannot use it as a military frock coat. Now to think if I should get it fixed for civilian impressions or get it fixed and sell it..
                        [SIZE="4"][B]Pvt. John Seever[/B][/SIZE]
                        [B][SIZE="2"]25th Missouri Volunteers, Muddy River Battalion[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Working...
                        X