Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repro CW images

Hello all,
    I am looking to reproduce some civil war images to include in letters for an event that we are doing, and I have a couple question on the subject.

1.Where is a good place to get images of this sort, mostly ladies (i.e. wives, and girlfriends from back home)

2.What kind of material were they printed on? I am looking to reproduce the kind of “image” that a soldier might have carried around, so probably on the cheap side, by their standards.

3.Did they have producer stamps on them, and if so does anyone know what they looked like.

4.Or if anyone has any other tips that would be worth sharing, please do

Re: repro CW images

Hello. A good place to get an image like those of the era, would probably be Rob Gibson's gallery in Gettysburg, PA. First you have to get a photo taken on glass which is part of the wet-plate process. This can be fairly pricey (around $90), but it's worth the money because of how great the photos look once you get them taken. Usually for a little extra price you can get CDV's made which is the paper form of the photo, and they can make as many of these as you want for extra money off of the original glass plate negative. Gibson's website is www.civilwarphotography.com. I hope this helps!
    Richard Condon

114th PVI, Co. A "Collis' Zouaves"
    &
    "The Marked Mess"

Comment

Travis:

I will attempt to take these one at a time.

I am looking to reproduce some civil war images to include in letters for an event that we are doing, and I have a couple question on the subject.

1.Where is a good place to get images of this sort, mostly ladies (i.e. wives, and girlfriends from back home)

Without a doubt, original images are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. A nice image (and it would not be very large) can be purchased for $25 to $40. Look on Ebay under Ambrotypes or visit local antique shows. More on that later.

2.What kind of material were they printed on? I am looking to reproduce the kind of “image” that a soldier might have carried around, so probably on the cheap side, by their standards.

Mid 19th century images were produced on glass plates (Ambrotypes) or earlier imaging materials (tin-types or Daguerreotype), with the image on tin. Both type of images would have been held in small leather-like cases or Guta-percha (plastic-like) cases. These were packed carefully and probably not in a letter.

Cart-de-vis, or photographs printed on albumen type stock, were produced during the war but were not nearly as comon for personal images.

3.Did they have producer stamps on them, and if so does anyone know what they looked like.

Photographer names were often on the cases.

4.Or if anyone has any other tips that would be worth sharing, please do

Reproductions of period images a soldier would have carried are expensive. Cheap ones bear no resemblence to how the originals appear.

It may be more appropriate not to have an image as the technology was not available on a wide-spread basis. Be careful with original images, if you use them, the cases become very fragile.
      Ley Watson
      POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Travis,
        If you decide to go the route of getting a photo taken I caution you on the use on Gibson in Gettysburg. From everything I hear, he started off pretty god but has slouched some details of authenticity to appease to the large tourist crowd. He tries to use artificial light, which does affect the image and for the CDV’s I understand he prints them from a computer printer.

While I have never gone to him I have been warned from a few people and I know some have passed this warning on in this forum awhile back before the crash. This does not mean you can’t get a good image from him, but you must know exactly what you want.

I picked up a CDV of a young woman that I keep in my journal at an mainstream event that I was a spectator at for $2.00.
        Dane Utter
        Washington Guard

Comment

Travis,

All of my "kinfolk" came from CDVs found on e-bay. I downloaded them, printed them on a decent printer and glued them onto photographic matte board. They cost is only a few cents per image, and if one gets ruined at an event, it is no biggie to print a new one.

From the entries in a diary that I have, apparently CDVs were quite common and frequenly exchanged between soldiers and folks at home -- both photos of the soldiers themselves, and commercially available CDVs of prominent people including President Lincoln and commanding generals. There are several mentions of the diarist having gone to a photographer or photographic artist to have images made, sending cartes-de-visite to his lady friend and receiving her likeness in return.

Ron Myzie

Comment

Thanks to everyone.
            I am looking to reproduce the carte? kind (sorry, if i butcher the name)
            I just want to make these for some friends, and put in letters to them from home.
            But i think i got the info i need.
            Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X