4 button jacket image ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 button jacket image ?

While browsing the AL Department of Archives I came across this picture of Pvt. Joseph Parker of the 57th AL Infantry, Co. D. The 57th was raised in March 1863 and served with the Army of Tennessee until its surrender in NC. Interestingly, this fellow was from the same county as I.
    Upon closer examination his jacket appears to resemble the famed "4 button jacket". Here are a few observations:
    -There is a pocket on his right side.
    -The button holes are quite large (compare in scale to the distance from his knuckle to joint on his right hand)
    -It appears to have wooden buttons, possibly two hole dished buttons similar to the "Mobile/Mystery Depot"
    -Squared edges
    -The material appears to be rough but it could be due to the quality of the photo (see the background)

Anyway, I thought this was a neat image and wanted to share. If the photo is identified correctly, It could point to the use of this style of jacket's use in the West. I did some digging and found earlier records for the name Joseph Parker, but none of the information (birthplace, birthday) matched (or was missing).
    Attached Files
    Mark Taylor

Re: 4 button jacket image ?

Hi Mark,

Nice image!

From looking at the image & the details , especially how it "hangs" on the fellow. It looks to me to be 95% a 4 button jacket.

Although, as it is a reverse image, The pocket is actually on the left breast of the garment.

( In the image the buttonhole & button sides of the jacket are reversed since period photography produces a reversed image)

Still, the pocket on the left breast is consistent with the majority of 4 button jackets .

Don S
    Don F Smith

Comment

GREAT photo, thanks for sharing!

Ronnie
      Ronnie Hull
      Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
      Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
      Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
      2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
      Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

Don,
        Great point on the image being reversed. I didn't notice the button hole / buttons being on the opposite sides than "normal".
        Mark Taylor

Comment

Very cool find! That's one in my database I haven't got yet.

Here's one that I posted some time ago that I absolutely love: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...9&d=1230840662

I've been thinking about the cloth prevalent in many extant four button jackets (the plain weave wool/cotton jean) and how it might compare to the plain weave jean that Don Troiani's Louisiana jacket is made of. At some point this year when I go back to Cincinnati for a visit, I'm hoping to swing by the museum in Chillicothe to see their four-button in person.

Although it's been discussed in a previous thread, I am still amazed at how this simple jacket shows up everywhere from Texas to Virginia, and during all times in the war. As with the photo I linked to above, I've seen the jackets (and nearly identical varieties lacking the top button) on war-time civilians as well.
          Brian White
          [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
          [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
          [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Am I the only one that thinks the bottom buttonhole is lower than on some of the other 4-button jackets? Looks to be close to the waist belt.

Also, just a tiny bit of background on the 57th. http://www.archives.state.al.us/refe...r/57thinf.html Appears those boys visited Demopolis (perhaps my favorite Alabama town name) a time or two, also.
            Pat Brown

Comment

Originally posted by GreencoatCross View Post
              Although it's been discussed in a previous thread, I am still amazed at how this simple jacket shows up everywhere from Texas to Virginia, and during all times in the war. As with the photo I linked to above, I've seen the jackets (and nearly identical varieties lacking the top button) on war-time civilians as well.
              I'm a big fan of these jackets. They are easy and fun to sew, they were made in a number of variations (pockets high or low, one pocket or two, trimmed and untrimmed) and the appear in the east and west, both early(ish) and late war.

One thing that can be difficult when recruiting folks to the CS ranks of "The Dark Side" is getting folks passed the notion that "no one jacket is good for all scenarios". The 4-button jacket may not be as "universal" for CS reenactors as the Fed fatigue blouse, but its close.

Thanks for sharing, Mark!
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for sharing the image. I had that one in my archive, it is definitely the best western CS example of the jacket I know of.

I'll see your 57th Alabama, and raise you a negro in Richmond!

Dan Wambaugh
                Wambaugh, White, & Company
                www.wwandcompany.com
                517-303-3609
                Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Interesting hat too.
                  Frank Perkin

Comment

Hello, Read that immediately after the War, all or a lot of the captured Confederate uniforms were given to the Freedmans Bureau for ex-slaves to use. Exactly where or when this happened I cant remember, but somewhere I have a Harpers Print showing the distribution of Confederate clothing. The Confederacy also made uniforms for slaves working in the Depots. This was usually, of the all white cotton or jeans material.

Tom Arliskas
                    CSuniforms
                    Tom Arliskas

Comment

Thus the kepi in the little one's lap.

Regards,
                      Garrett Glover
                      Garrett Glover

Comment

Is the little boy sitting on the ground missing his left arm? I see a big sleeve and nothing sticking out of it.
                        Joe Smotherman

Comment

Joe, it appears to be on his hip and hidden by the shadow (to me anyway).
                          Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

There are some great pictures on the heritage auctions website of one of these jackets, though with six buttons on the front, but no question it is of the same pattern as the others (they note Les Jensen has surveyed this jacket) . the description (and the zoomable photos seem to me to support this) says it is made of cotton fabric. The provenance suggests it was captured by feds at Cumberland Gap, ca. 1862. here is the link, though you might have to register to get the zoomable photos:

James "Archie" Marshall
                            The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
                            Tampa, FL

Comment

This jacket is at the Texas Civil War Museum in Ft Worth. However, it is not currently on display pending some conservation work. I am a docent there.

Joe Walker

Comment

Working...
                              X