4 button jacket image ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 4 button jacket image ?

Tom A mentioned earlier in this thread that CS Army clothes were available for purchase in Richmond just after the war. I posted this quote on tlhe forum a couple of years ago:

From Richmond, May 17, 1865:

“Auction Sale of Rebel Uniforms”

"At auction yesterday, rebel uniform jackets were knocked down at ten cents each, by the box full. This may be regarded as an evidence of the respect which the people here have for the colors in which traitors delighted to shoot down patriots. Nothing can be more gratifying than the consciousness which is herein evinced that the hated gray is morally contraband. Rebel officers who can got out of it as fast as they can, while boys and negroes may be seen sporting suits of rank with a wonderful unconsciousness of their infamy."

This thread has excited my interest in these rather drab jackets. John Stillwagon's article on these jackets on the Southern Guard web site is great:http://www.southernguard.org/education/brooke.html

Stillwagon notes there are five of these jackets in various collections, besides the one in Texas described above, making six originals. this is impressive considering Les Jensen's depot typology identifies 7 RDII's, 14 RDIII's, 9 Tait jackets, 6 Columbus, 2 Charleston, 3 Atlanta (though I understand many believe Jensen's "Charleston" and "Atlanta" jackets are from the same source), 3 Department of Alabama. The existence of six of these makes them look like a major player.
    James "Archie" Marshall
    The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
    Tampa, FL

Comment

sellin' rebel uniforms for 10 cents a pop. I gotta go polish up the flux capacitor and (to quote Blzin saddles) go get a S^%$ ton of dimes!

Can some of our more accomplish clothin gurus confirm that this pattern jacket was a typical outer garmet for a laborer?
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Guys

A quote from Ron Fields book 'The Confederate Army 1861-1865 (4) Virginia and Arkansas

Earlier that year, some time after his enlistment in the 19th Arkansas Infantry on March 1, 1862, Private Francis Warford was issued a gray sack coat with four bone buttons and an open pocket on the left breast.

This type of jacket/coat pops up everywhere!
        Ian Smith
        55th Virginia

"We think from the movments that there is something out [there] but we can tell what!" Thomas Hooper, Diary for
        27th December 1862@ Murfreesboro - Enlisted 1861, wounded at Perryville, Murfreesboro and Missionary Ridge, killed at Franklin.

Comment

Originally posted by brown View Post
          Am I the only one that thinks the bottom buttonhole is lower than on some of the other 4-button jackets? Looks to be close to the waist belt.
          Lindsey-

I know what you mean. To tell it in a roundabout way (no pun intended), I had a 4 button jacket made up for me from a County Cloth pattern by a very talented seamstress. She did a fantastic job...except that she spaced the button holes out almost evenly...rather like in the photograph. That took the wind out of my sails but just for a very short while; not long after, I had the opportunity to look through a pard's copy of Collecting the Confederacy and there was a photo in there of an (original, of course) 4-button jacket with the buttons spread out almost evenly as well...much like the photo in question, if not even more so.

Seeing that...and the photo above...made me, well: :D
          Tom Scoufalos
          [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

I have one of these jackets and could not be more happy with it. Its so versatile, so you can wear it practically anywhere and anytime. Its kinda like a commutation jacket or a Frock coat in its versatility.

I'm wearing mine in my avatar.
            Kindest regards,

Robert "Rocky" Kilpatrick
            Prattville Lodge #89 F&AM

Comment

nice picture dan,that is very interesting,i am still wondering what kind of hat that the negro has on?
              Charlie Newman
              Co.E 37th Virginia
              Wampus Cats Mess
              Southern Guard Drum Corp
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."-Robert E. Lee

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."-Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Perhaps the hat is quilted cloth, as worn by some Confederates during the war etc.

Also, Here is another of these jackets in a museum in Memphis, supposedly worn by a 9th TN soldier at Perryville, KY.

Webshots, the best in Desktop Wallpaper, Desktop Backgrounds, and Screen Savers since 1995.
                James "Archie" Marshall
                The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
                Tampa, FL

Comment

Ah, I had forgotten about the George McDill jacket. For some reason I've always looked at that one as an actual sack coat; maybe it's the visuals I get from the curved bottom margins and the appearance to a Federal sack coat.

I reproduced this jacket years ago using measurements provided by Jay Stevens. Of course it was impossible to get it "spot on" without having studied the original in person, but it came together nicely and fit much differently than the typical nearly-uncomfortable four-button jacket. It was a lot looser and straighter in the body, like a Federal fatigue blouse.

Also notice the buttons on the McDill jacket. That style seems to be listed as a central Confederate government officer's button, but this is the second time I've seen it on a enlisted garment. I still have several reproductions of these laying around from my intended short-run of McDill jackets several years ago!
                  Brian White
                  [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                  [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                  [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

the McDill coat seems to lack top stitching as well.
                    Bryant Roberts
                    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Which museum is the McDill jacket in? I'm not too far from Memphis, I'd like to have a look see at it.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Memphis Mud Island Museum
                        Nic Clark
                        2017 - 24 years in the hobby
                        Proud co-founder of the Butcherknife Roughnecks

Comment

Thanks Nic, forgot to include the location in my post. Do you know if anyone has ever been able to view the McDill jacket in person, outside of the glass?
                          Brian White
                          [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                          [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                          [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Yeah, I was able to handle it, but it was a random happening, as I was able to sweet talk the Polish girl working there into letting me do it. Can't remember if I took any picutures of it or not, as this was many years ago.
                            Nic Clark
                            2017 - 24 years in the hobby
                            Proud co-founder of the Butcherknife Roughnecks

Comment

Originally posted by marktaylor View Post
                              While browsing the AL Department of Archives I came across this picture of Pvt. Joseph Parker of the 57th AL Infantry, Co. D. ... I thought this was a neat image and wanted to share.
                              Interesting photo.

Attached is a sort of Federal equivelent of this loose-fitting (at the neck) pattern, and also seems to have an outside pocket. Not quite a standard looking Federal sack coat, but as is typical for an eBay image, the seller can offer nothing in the way of provenance whatsoever, so keep or toss this may not even be a pre- or during-war image.

Dan Wykes
                              Attached Files
                              Danny Wykes

Comment

Ref: 9th Tenn Jacket at Mudd Island.

This is the ancestor of my old pard, Bob Flemming-ex-20th Tenn member who wrote a book about the 9th. He resides in Memphis. Perhaps he can be reached for more info about it. I don't think he is connected with the AC but those of you out there living in the Memphis area could reach him. He is also the one who provided Missouri Boot and Shoe with the original dished out wooden button for reproduction. Fleming is also the one that found the original recordings of the minstrel show with "Mr Johnson" we hear so much of.

Joe Walker

Comment

Working...
                                X