19th Century dog collar and leash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19th Century dog collar and leash

Does anyone have any pictures or documentation on what a period dog collar and or leash?

Thanks,

Marvin
    Marvin Greer
    Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Re: 19th Century dog collar and leash

I'd also like to know.

I've seen photos of dog collars on "famous military dogs" and they look similar to what we have today only handmade. Most of the famous dogs seemed to have brass plates on the collars with their names and owner information.

As I recall, Harvey, a dog at the Battle of Franklin, wore a tag that read "I'm XXX's dog. Who's dog are you?" as a joke.

I've been stymied at leashes.
    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Marvin-

There was a bully article in Civil War Historian a few issues ago on pets and mascots in the Civil War. You might look there. My wife has been looking to bring our two pugs to an event sometime and is looking for period dog collar examples as well. If you find any, sir, please give me a holler.

All the best -Johnny Lloyd :wink_smil
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

If I can find the photo again, I will post it. I fear it was a couple of computers ago.

Sgt. Dick the dog mascot of a St Louis militia unit after the Mex War was killed for his collar. The boys had pitched in to buy him a jewel studded collar with his name on it. He was killed by a thief in order to steal it.

I will keep digging, I am pretty sure the illustration shows the collar.
        Mitchell L Critel
        Wide Awake Groupie
        Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Dog collars came in all shapes, sizes and materials from brass, to silver, iron and leather. How elaborate a collar was depended on how much someone wanted to pay. Here are some examples of dog collars from the 18th and 19th centuries including one image showing a braided leash:

Brass collar dating to 1854.

Made of Brass, it was worn by Lord Byron's dog in 1815. His name was Karo.

Oil painting 1832, showing collar with metal inlay and lead ring.

Hand sewn leather collar and braided leather leash dating 1850-1900.

19th Century French dog collar made from brass and iron.

French dog collar dating from 1780-1830. This collar is made of iron and brass with a fancy name plate that is engraved, "Dr. H-CLERY Chateau Vert Bois la Seyne (VAR)."

Mid t0 Late 19th Century brass dog collar.

Hand sewn leather dog collar with spikes meant to protect against attack from wolves, 1850-1900.
          Last edited by Ian McWherter; 07-06-2009, 08:46 PM.
          Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

With as deadly earnest that last collar looks, with spikes that look like they are functional and not purely decorative, would it possibly have been a collar for dog fighting or bear baiting?
            [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by hiplainsyank View Post
              With as deadly earnest that last collar looks, with spikes that look like they are functional and not purely decorative, would it possibly have been a collar for dog fighting or bear baiting?
              Forgot to include when I posted, that collar apparently was meant to protect against attack from wolves. Or so the description read.
              Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Several years ago I visited the William Fulkerson Mansion Museum in Jerseyville, Illinois, and noticed a dog collar with attached inscription plate on display. As I recall it belonged to a mascot in an Illinois regiment.

Jeff Patrick

Comment

The Carter House in Franklin has what remains of Harvey's collar, red leather with brass plates.
                  Lee White
                  Researcher and Historian
                  "Delenda Est Carthago"
                  "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Phelps' Reg't View Post
                    Several years ago I visited the William Fulkerson Mansion Museum in Jerseyville, Illinois, and noticed a dog collar with attached inscription plate on display. As I recall it belonged to a mascot in an Illinois regiment.

Jeff Patrick
                    I'll remember this when I get back down to Carlinville and can take a couple pictures and post.
                    Mark Krausz
                    William L. Campbell
                    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                    Old Northwest Volunteers
                    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Thanx all for your help. Feel free to contenue to post pictures and other articles. And Thanks again to Ian, as usual your research and stockpile of images are most helpful.

Marvin
                      Marvin Greer
                      Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Comment

Oustanding visual references, Ian. Although I suspect the hand-made leather varieties would be the most practical and easiest to duplicate for living history use, the metal collars would be the ultimate as standing out as not being of the 21st century. I assume these would be for a more "well-heeled" canine?

Paul McKee
                        Paul McKee

Comment

Since we're on the topic of dogs, does anybody know if Scottish Terriers were in the US by the 1850's-60's? I know the breed dates to the 18th century in Scotland but I don't know if it was in the us by the time of the war.
                          Andrew Turner
                          Co.D 27th NCT
                          Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Scotties were not brought to America until the early 1890's they became popular between World War I and World War II
                            Marvin Greer
                            Snake Nation Disciples

sigpic

Comment

Andrew, now having said that depending on your ferper profession it could open you up to what type of dog that you can bring to an event.

Marvin
                              Marvin Greer
                              Snake Nation Disciples

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X