undershirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: undershirts

Here was the picture I had scanned, online.
    Rick Bailey
    Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Hi,

Sorry, but the link doesn't work (at least not for me).

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

To answer a few questions; Of course I've never tried an original on, but based on photographic evidence, knit shirts like this should fit loose, but not as baggy as the flannel shirts. I would equate it with the fit of a modern day tee shirt.

Great images Jason. Are these from the Library of Congress website?

I agree with Jason too on the common sense aspect of shedding coats and blouses. My only point has been that too many go too far with "common sense" in the hobby these days. Example; the guy at a recent event striding around the AoP camp for several hours in drawers and no shirt. Yeah it was hot, but c'mon. For the record though, I absolutely concede the point that the lads would shed their blouses at appropriate times when it got warm.

The knit shirt run will be sold through the Skillet Licker. Keep an eye on www.skilletlicker.com for updates. Info will be posted soon along with new images. (sorry moderators, maybe should have been in the Vendor section but I made a judgement call :wink_smil )

Also, as near as I can find, "undershirt" seems to be a modern term. I like the reference to "bottom shirts". Never heard that one before. Mostly they seem to be referred to as simply "knit shirts" in QM contracts. I have heard the term "underments" as well.

Cheers!

Comment

buff, in the

It wasn't at the Chickamauga event in '99. One of the youths in my company was seen near AoP HQ sans shirt twice and an issue was made of his appearance!

Company officer took satisfaction in 'correcting' the fellow.

John Pillers
          skulkerjohn@yahoo.com

:)
          John Pillers
          Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Holy cow, anybody else notice the floppy hat brim in the pictures that Jason posted? It's a Jethro hat.

Comment

Folks:

In my opinion, in Mr. Bailey's picture, the guy is wearing the shirt inside out -- perhaps he liked the way the underside of the placket looked.

Karin Timour
              Period Knitting - Socks, hats, balaclavas
              Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
              Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Thanks for all the info to my question. It seams like there is some interest in this garment for our hobby. I will be on the look out for a bottomshirt/undershirt. Thanks again for those who contributed to this post, always glad to touch on a topic which triggers this much input.

Shawn Stern
                ssterndo@netscape.net

Comment

Hi Mark

please could you possibly e-mail me with the photographs of the undershirts of the Louisiana lad & the New York soldier?

Thanks
                  Kind regards

Claire Morris
                  69th New York (UK)
                  claire_morris@btopenworld.com

Comment

Originally posted by KarinTimour
                    Folks:

In my opinion, in Mr. Bailey's picture, the guy is wearing the shirt inside out -- perhaps he liked the way the underside of the placket looked.

Karin Timour
                    I don't know about that but it looks to me like he has an arrow going through his hat a-la Steve Martin.

PB

Comment

Gents,
                      For those who have contacted me to ask about reproduction shirts like this, please go the the Vendor Announcements sections and view my post Knit Shirt Run.

Thanks to everyone for all the inquiries and interest.

Best,

Comment

Originally posted by KarinTimour
                        Folks:

Karin Timour
                        He took the time to reverse the buttons in that case. I guess he also cut off the collar band and restiched it to keep it from unravelling, as well as the cuffs. ;)
                        Rick Bailey
                        Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Originally posted by Thehos Gendar
                          Bill,

You're right about the first soldier - he's wearing a neckerchief and a belt, which looks to have a tongue and wreath buckle!

The other soldier just has his collar opened- here he is in the other view:

Jason,

I agree that the 3rd. fellow to the right is in that other photo. You can make out the crossed cannons on his forage cap in both photos. But my guess is the pictures were taken at different times. Please note that his trousers are buttoned in the "Dictator" picture, but at least the two top buttons are undone in the second picture. I keep staring at the "Dictator" picture, and I'd swear there's a knot showing right about where the placket ends on his shirt. I love the forage cap on the guy with the belt. If any of us showed up at an event with a cap that looked like that, we'd be run out of camp on a rail.

I've said this before, but your high definition photos are absolutly outstanding.
                          You keep finding pictures of these "Farbs" who actually fought in the Civil War. The only problem is I'm going blind trying to make out every detail!

Thanks
                          Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Not only is his shirt unbuttoned, so are his trousers.

I wonder how much posing these guys were doing.

Comment

In regards to men in shirtsleeves, I think Jon Isaacson put it best. He related mid-nineteenth century men in shirtsleeves to modern construction workers going shirtless. It really is not the classiest thing going, but people are not going to have heart attacks if they pass by a construction site and see it. However, you would not want to go to an expensive restaurant with your significant other and have a shirtless construction worker sit down at the table next to you.
                              Last edited by Jefferson Guards; 03-23-2004, 07:17 PM. Reason: typo
                              Brian Koenig
                              SGLHA
                              Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Here are some pics of the under shirt at the Gettysburg VC. I took them this past weekend while I was there.

Enjoy.
                                Last edited by Matt Caldwell; 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X