Workman's Caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workman's Caps?

I was seeing if anyone else had the same question and I couldn't find anything but I was wondering how common the workman's caps were late in the War. From what I've seen in photographs of prisoners there were a couple here and there. One of the reasons I ask is because I barely see anybody wearing them, and I'm questioned non-stop about it.
    Last edited by 4thVirginiaSoldier; 07-12-2009, 11:20 AM.
    Pvt. Michael "Doc" Zembek

Chesapeake Volunteer Guard Co. E

"The Mud Pie Mess"

Re: Workman's Caps?

The absence of them in original photographs probably answers your question.

Ron Myzie

Comment

Mike,

It depends what you mean by workman's caps. Many factory tradesmen, especially printers, made disposable square paper caps every day that they wore to absorb sweat on their brow. Harper's Ferry has several of these on display as part of the furnishings in their weapons factory exhibt. Also, if you have ever seen an illustrated copy of Lewis carrol's poem "The Walrus and the Carpenter," the carpenter is wearing one of these. These caps were worn in some trades well into the 1950s.
      John Christiansen
      SGLHA
      PLHA

Comment

Mike,

I'm guessing you are referring to the hat pictured in your avatar? Kind of on the order of a larger, softer version of a modern locomotive engineer's hat?

Ron Myzie

Comment

Originally posted by 4thVirginiaSoldier View Post
          I was seeing if anyone else had the same question and I couldn't find anything but I was wondering how common the workman's caps were late in the War. From what I've seen in photographs of prisoners there were a couple here and there. One of the reasons I ask is because I barely see anybody wearing them, and I'm questioned non-stop about it.

Are you referring to the sometimes called mechanics hat, or wheel hats?
          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by jchristiansen View Post
            Many factory tradesmen, especially printers, made disposable square paper caps every day that they wore to absorb sweat on their brow.
            Not only to adsorb sweat, but to also protect the hair from wood chips & splinters, metal shavings, printing ink &c.
            Brian Koenig
            SGLHA
            Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Mike is refering to a mechanics hat. It is a basic one of off white cotton material. Oh and Mr. Myzie, your sarchasm isn't needed. It is unnecessary and not helping the situation.
              Tyler Grecco

Comment

I found this Mike. Hope it helps in your research...

http://www.tekhelethats.com/gallery.htm
                [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by rebpvt1864 View Post
                  Oh and Mr. Myzie, your sarchasm isn't needed. It is unnecessary and not helping the situation.
                  Not sarcasm at all. Straightforward answer to a comment. "From what I've seen in photographs of prisoners there were a couple here and there." Probably means that very few were worn or many more would show up in photos. PEC: Plain, everyday, COMMON.

Ron Myzie

Comment

Hello! Thank you peter those pictures can help us a lot! Espcially the first one of the captured confederates.
                    Thanks again,
                    Last edited by rebpvt1864; 07-21-2009, 03:05 PM. Reason: mispelling
                    Tyler Grecco

Comment

Yes, I love the Ambro type of the prisoners at Five Forks, the cap is pretty much exactly like mine.
                      Pvt. Michael "Doc" Zembek

Chesapeake Volunteer Guard Co. E

"The Mud Pie Mess"

Comment

found another picture that might help. I wish I nknew more about it. I don;t know the timeframe but it looks period and there are some wheel caps present.

[SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                        ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

PetePaolillo

The picture is from a series of the Union Pacific Rail Road done by A.J. Russell. The date should be easy to find because it is a very famous picture, but for some reason 1869 comes to mind. Look at his whole UPRR series. It is period...just not Civil War period.

I myself like the fella in the great coat. Dang, I've seen this a few times before but never looked closely, thanks Pete.
                          Last edited by Sut Lovingood; 08-29-2009, 05:12 AM. Reason: added information
                          Rae G. Whitley
                          [I]Museum of the Horse Soldier[/I]

Tucson, AZ

Comment

Working...
                          X