Cartridge box strap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartridge box strap

I portray a confederate soldier from the 5th virginia company G stonewall brigade. and would like to know if i should where a strap with my cartridge box or just put it on my belt......i have seen documentaion on both....but thought i would ask...also if worn on a strap, would you where it high on the hip?

Thanks for helping out,
    Joe Whitehead

5th Va Co. G
    Last edited by ; 02-09-2004, 10:45 PM.

Re: Cartridge box strap

We (my family) have a box loosely attributed to 13 Va. It is the 69 cal. box rigged for sling only. The soldier that carried it took a sharp object and roughly cut two slits in the back so he could fix it to his waist belt. The tops of the slits are stretched out of shape from wear and weight.
    This does not answer your question but illustrates at least one soldier's possible preference.

(My grandmother picked up the box and and the same soldier's Enfield at an estate liquidation in Richmond years ago.{Part of Dr Harry Warthen's collection as I recall } The rifle was struck at the muzzle by shot purportadly at Gettysburg. She had to stand in line to get a buyers ticket for hours and hours and had a very low number. She walked in the day of the sale, quickly picked out the kit and when she walked out with it about 100 people groaned and walked away from thier places back in the line.
    Again, this does not help you, but I love the story.)
    Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 02-10-2004, 12:14 AM.
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

My brother, Don Smith (a.k.a. "Eureka Indepedent") has done quite a bit of research on this thing. As I remember, there's a book he has on cart. boxes that shows a .69 cal box modified in the field to fit on a waist belt, but don't quote me on it. Give him a call.
      Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
      Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
      Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
      Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
      Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Actually, this is more of a personal preference question. IMHO both ways are correct, but which way is more suitable for you?

Nothing wrong with wearing a strap with the box. In fact, I recommend it. Check with approved vendors.

Wear the box right above your arse. Check out period photo's.... You don't want a cartridge box slapping you in the thigh and your lower arse everytime you move.

words of the wise,

Hog-Eyed
        Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 02-10-2004, 12:28 AM.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
        Cincinnati

Comment

Working...
        X