1849 Colt Pocket Model Holster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1849 Colt Pocket Model Holster

Robert Reilly, in U.S. Military Small Arms 1816-1865 lists the Colt Pocket model as a martial arm and notes that the United States government purchased some 120 of the short (4 inch) barrelled models on the open market. He posits that this must also pertain to purchase of other versions of the .31 pocket model. He notes that collectors have documented U.S. marked versions, and government acceptance stamps on the cylinders of some intended for Navy use. Norm Flayderman backs this up in his "guide".

What has me interested is that Reilly also states that he has encountered Federal holsters intended for the small pocket models.

Has anyone seen one or have detailed drawings they have made from an extant one? What photos do you have of Federal soldiers carrying these tiny little guns?

Do you have any other holsters (Rebel, "Private Purchase", or Civilian etc) that are known from our period?

Driving force behind this question is I have a pocket model, and I would like to *make* a documented holster.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Minieball577; 07-24-2009, 09:32 AM.
    ~ Chris Hubbard
    Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
    [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Re: 1849 Colt Pocket Model Holster

There is one that recently sold at the Sharpsburg Arsenal site, Federal issue. I have seen several others recently, but would have to hunt down the links. You might try www.ha.com, Shiloh Relics, or a few of the other sites.

Also, Rock Island Auction sells Colt Pockets on occasion that feature the original holster.

These pistols were pretty common during the period, so finding an extant holster shouldn't be too hard.

Great question, though!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

You might also contact Nic Duvall - he's a great resource for these kinds of questions as well.

Cliff Sophia at CS Arms is also another good contact (csarms.com).
      Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Comment

John, I saw the one at Sharpsburg Arsenal, but only the single small picture remains, not the great multiple views of things he still has in stock. Does anyone happen to have the larger multiple view of the one that Sharpsburg had? That looks to be exactly what I am in search of.
        ~ Chris Hubbard
        [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

I don't have the pics, but I saw them when they were up. It was a really "Heinz-57" generic issue holster, with three rivets on the back side securing the belt loop.
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Here's a link to a picture of a Colt Pocket pistol and holster.

Jerry Orange
            Horse sweat and powder smoke; two of my favorite smells.

Comment

Hallo!

Apples and oranges perhaps...

But here is M1849 Colt holster for a six inch barrel.

It belonged to Edward Blakeley of Company "D," of the 63rd OVI, my wife's great-great uncle.

Blakeley was assigned as a teamster, and lost his right arm as a result of the Confederate attack on the wagon park at Resaca.
              He used the Colt to commit suicide in 1867.

A descendant used the holster to debur his straight razor, and it is heavily slashed. Which is why I have it, as it came from a relative who sold off the Colt and other family heirlooms over time for the cash.

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt, thanks for the photo. Is there any you could take another one with the same view as this, but from the back side showing the belt attachment, with the flap open?

Are there stitches that used to be about two inches from the end of the barrel? It looks like about 5 holes in a row.

Thanks again.
                ~ Chris Hubbard
                [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Hallo!

I do not have enough knowledge about holsters, but this one puzzles me.

It appears there is a roughly one inch "extension" factory sewn into end. No toe plug.

About an inch above that, front and back, are two vertical half inch slits separated by a line of five stiches.

Opposite that, at the seam, is a horizontal half inch long slit on each side with a row of now empty stitching above.

And on the edge of the flap, oposite the stud hole is a now empty row of five holes that do not correspond to holes any where else.

Curt
                  Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 07-27-2009, 01:58 PM.
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I believe Colonel Burling of the 6th NJ carried the 1849 Colt pocket model. I think his hat, sash, sword belt and revolver were displayed at the old Gettysburg VC. I can't recall if the belt included the holster though? Good possibility it did. I know in the new VC has his hat is displayed. Not sure about anything else.
                    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                    X