the duties of an NCO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the duties of an NCO

im trying to get some information as to the duties and responsibiliites of a Non Comissioned Officer. Im looking for any books, or other such information that may be of help in these matters.

still stuck in the sand box
    chris mattingly
    Chris Mattingly
    The Coffee Cooler Mess

Re: the duties of an NCO

You're lucky, There is a dude who wrote "The Book!"

August Kautz's "Customs of Service"

There are also period style "repro" versions available as well.

RW
    Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
    – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Jim Butler wrote a nice article on the topic...

go to the Salt River Rifles web site at

or see the article directly at

Daniel Fodera
      Palmetto Living History Assoc

Comment

Greetings,

Indeed, Kautz is "da man." However, scholarship indicates that Kautz's book
        was not published prior to August 1864 and was, from all appearances, a commercial flop. Far more copies of "Customs of Service" have been purchased by reenactors than by those who actually fought in the war. Ironically, "CoS" appeared too late to be of much help to those who needed it most.

Of additional interest is that NCO's and officers needing guidance on various topics could refer to at least three other official or quasi-official sources: namely, the "Army and Navy Official Gazette" (published by the War Department, June 1863-June 1865); the "United States Army & Navy Journal" (began publication in August 1863 and still in print today!); and the "United States Service Magazine" (published January 1864 - June 1866).

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Take notes

While not a single source, the thread on "beginners bibliography" reminded me how much I've learned about the actual day-to-day through reading and comparing diaries and letters. There was a letter posted on one of these fora by, I believe, Vicki Betts, from a Texan orderly sergeant who discussed in good detail how busy his mornings were. That's a how-to for first sergeants, clerks, sergeant-majors, officers-of-the-day, and adjutants.
          [FONT=Times New Roman]-steve tyler-[/FONT]

Comment

Greetings,

If you have not already done so, go to this thread I started:

This discusses a fascinating letter I found for sale on eBay. Written by an officer of the 19th Illinois, it's one of the best single descriptions of camp duties I've ever seen.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisM(armyguy)
              im trying to get some information as to the duties and responsibiliites of a Non Comissioned Officer. Im looking for any books, or other such information that may be of help in these matters.
              Chris:

It is not a period reference, but by and far the best reference is one that the Army still uses today, COL Dandridge Malone's Small Unit Leadership: A Commonsense Approach. This would be my first reference; then use Kautz' Customs of Service to translate Malone's tips to an 1860's setting.

Simply put, you should strive to be the best soldier in the unit entrusted to your charge. Set the example; go the extra mile. One noted leader compared an army to a piece of spaghetti: you can't push it, you have to pull it. And you can only do that by being up front, leading.

your pard,

Tom
              Tom Ezell

Comment

Working...
              X