Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English accoutrements

Gentlemen,

Who is making the best English accoutrements nowadays? I notice Mr. Duvall is making some, but not all, and likewise Mr. Welch is making a little bit.

Jim Whitley
    Jim Whitley

Re: English accoutrements

Heritage Leather does a good job. He has done quite a bit a research on the equipment and examined quite a few original examples. I wouldn't recommend getting too much more from the man. His rev war congressional boxes leave something to be desired. But his English equipment are spot on. http://www.heritageleathercw.com/cart/cart.php
    I've seen Nick's stuff and his is spot on as well
    I hope this helps.
    Tom Backus
    Brown Bottle Mess
    Co. H 3rd Arkansas

Comment

Jim,
      both Nick Duvall and Tim Welch are approved vendors. Brad Malone may make some as well, if you email him.
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Backus View Post
        Heritage Leather does a good job. But his English equipment are spot on. http://www.heritageleathercw.com/cart/cart.php
        I've seen Nick's stuff and his is spot on as well
        I hope this helps.
        Why is his English stuff so much cheaper than the approved vendors if the quality is the same? I mean...I need a white buff cap pocket for my Enfield box and $29 is a lot more appealing than other prices I've seen, and $50 for a white buff expense pouch that another vendor is selling for $200 or 250? I'm confused...what am I missing here?
        Regards,
        Scott Dallimore
        14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
        Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
        -------------------------------------

Comment

I've heard through the grape vine that Robert Serio at Missouri Boot and Shoe does some British leather gear. You would have to call and talk to him or email him.
          Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
          Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
          Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
          Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
          Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
          Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
          sigpic

Comment

Jim,

I am in the market too for some English items and was told that LD Haning & Co does a really good job on his English Cartridge Box (approved AC Vendor). This is copied after one that was found on the Antietam Battlefield. I was also told that Missouri Boot and Shoe British leather gear is really good as well as Duvall. I do have one of his bayonet frogs that I paid $60.00 for and was very happy with the finished product.
            John A. Miller, Director
            Monterey Pass Battlefield Park

Comment

Originally posted by Backus View Post
              Heritage Leather does a good job. He has done quite a bit a research on the equipment and examined quite a few original examples.
              I'll second Tom's input.
              [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
              Dirigo Grays
              CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
              Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

I have a Snake Belt and Bayonet Frog from Heritage Leather and am quite pleased with them. Construction and materials are as good as any of my MB&S gear.

I believe most of his English gear is based on well researched patterns or specifications provided by O'Day (sp) who is a supplier of British equipment and uniforms of various era's. I wouldn't say his prices for an Enfield Cartridge Box is "cheap" but his products are competitively priced.
                Bryan Beard
                Virginian

Comment

Caveat Emptor.
                  Bob Williams
                  26th North Carolina Troops
                  Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Hey Folks,

I don't post very often anymore but let me say very clearly that Heritage Leather's products are not up to the standards of this board. If you think they are, you seriously need to study period pieces at an institution of you're choosing. Do I need to continue? Use the Approved Vendors who are making quality English gear.

Regards,

Neill Rose
                    PLHA

Comment

I am very happy that the folks at Heritage Leather do research. Bravo for them!
                      I am very happy that folks here are happy with their purchases. Bravo for you!

Neither of the above prove that their research has manifested itself in their products or that your collective happiness is based on anything other than a great price.

As a moderator, I am not happy that folks endorsing this unknown (to me) maker of bargain-priced equipment on the A-C are not comparing their equipment to originals and posting their observations. When I see the prices, then have Neill Rose say they are not up to snuff, I am dubious, to say the least.

Further endorsements need to be backed up by data, not emotions. I would recommend high-quality pics (their website pics don't count). Posts not backed up by data will be deleted.

(!!!!!!!!)
                      Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 08-05-2009, 09:42 AM.
                      John Wickett
                      Former Carpetbagger
                      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Even in a discussion with a unit member today the price tag seems to have dictated what was and what was not good research and a well produced item. In the case of English accoutrements there are currently two people who have at one time made a good English knapsack-the man in Jersey and a fellow who hasn't made anything in years. There are two people making a good English cartridge boxes- Tim Welch and Brad Malone. There are a hand full making the proper cap pocket.

English gear is one of those great things that everyone wants, but some won't stretch that extra nickle on. Rather than save another $75 they buy flat out an inferior product, plain and simple. From the buff leather used, to the type of stitch, you need all of that to make a good product.
                        Patrick Landrum
                        Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                        X