Neck Extender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Extender

I have searched around, and didn't find anything.

Lets say a private had an issue Domet Flannel shirt that the neck was so small he couldn't button it. Was there any period way to extend the neck...maybe a peice of tape with a button on one end, and a button hole on the other?

Any evidence of any manner of making a shirt neck larger?

Thanks!
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Re: Neck Extender

Greetings,

There's photographic evidence showing some wearers of tight fitting Federal issue shirts not having the top button closed.

Darrek Orwig

Comment

19th Centruy: Trade with a pard for a better fit.

20th / 21st Century: Return to mfgr for refund or exchange.
      Brad Ireland
      Old Line Mess
      4th VA CO. A
      SWB

Comment

Also, 19th century, in the main, skinny kids. A neck waddle was not a problem for most, either side.
        S.Sullivan

Comment

I don't think neck fat is his problem.

I just wanted to get a few more events out of it. That button is right on the edge. Won't move any more.

Galen Wagner
          Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

I had a shirt like that, made from loom-state domet flannel that later shrunk after use. It fit fine everywhere but the neck so all I did was cut the button off, sew a new buttonhole in the "slit" part, and called it good. This might work for your shirt but I'd try it on first and pin it together to simulate the new button/buttonhole location before cutting.
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Now that, Brian, may work. How far down from the collar did you put it? I bet a 1/2 inch or so would do it.
              Galen Wagner
              Mobile, AL

Comment

Hey,
                After seeing and reading about the numerous alteritions that soldiers did to their clothes I'd beleve just about anything! A soldier could have found a piece of twill tape and sewed a loop on the button hole side to extend it a little. Of course I have no documentation for this its just pure speculation. Also someone mentioned trading shirts with a friend. Didn't these shirts come in one size?
                Wade Rogers

Comment

I have a beautiful issue shirt from a Wambaugh kit that my friend Chase "just happened to sew in my size". The body fit a little tight as I wanted it to but the neck was just a little too small. I ended up taking some logwood died thread and making a simple loop for the button to pass through, giving the neck about another inch. I figured if it was a simple "field modification" that I could do then that would be ok. But thinking on it I hope it doesnt turn into one of those "if they had it" type arguments. I just am not a fan of open collars and I like to wear my leather neck stock sometimes with that insufferable hair shirt so I wanted a closed collar :P. Just my 2 cents...
                  Capt. Kris Larson 32°
                  Wasatch Lodge #1 F&AM Utah
                  Worshipful Master, Uintah Lodge #7 F&AM Utah
                  Camp Floyd Historic Lodge #205 F&AM Utah
                  Rocky Mountain #11 F&AM Utah
                  El Kalah Shrine

Co I 4th Texas
                  Iron Rooster Mess
                  [I][SIZE="1"]"Nothin's harder than a metal cock!"[/SIZE][/I]

Comment

Quit feedin that boy Galen!
                    Patrick Landrum
                    Independent Rifles

Comment

I have seen an original shirt, but don't recall when or where, which had been made larger in the neck by a different method than putting a piece of tape in the front. A slit was made in the back of the collar and upper back of the shirt. An additional couple inches was added to the length of the collar and upper back. Separating the upper back to the appropriate width cause a "V" opening. The extra fabric was sewn into the shape of the "V".

I filed that one back in my mind should my own domet shirt get small in the neck. Of course, it did. I sewed an extension into the back and upper neck. If I remember, I'll take a photo of the shirt and post it. I didn't have any domet available, so I used canton for the extension.
                      Silas Tackitt,
                      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                        I have seen an original shirt, but don't recall when or where, which had been made larger in the neck by a different method than putting a piece of tape in the front. A slit was made in the back of the collar and upper back of the shirt...
                        Silas -

Seems I've seen a description of that technique and shirt nearly word-for-word from another source.

Let's one of us find and cite that reference; that the basis was period and not just a personal logic or experience.

Dan Wykes

Fat Neck Mess
                        Last edited by Danny; 08-05-2009, 03:14 PM.
                        Danny Wykes

Comment

From Arthur's Illustrated Home Magazine, 1874. This pertains more to fitting during construction of the shirt, but the technique would be much the same. More to the point, it shows that the problem came up then as well:

If you make the men's wear at home and are bothered about fits, or got " fits" yourself, I am sorry for you, and will tell you how I would manage them. It is hard to get a shirt to suit a man exactly—what will fit one man well, will hang like a pokeon another, or choke him, or lift up his arms.

I never had trouble fitting a shirt only about the neck, and at last I dispaired and said it was impossible, but Ida and I counselled together, and the result was all that we could hope for. The shirt was made and finished, all, only about the neck, and we made the refractory fellow put it on and take a seat so we could reach him without, standing tiptoe. We found that an extra gusset on each side was required before the band went on, that made a nice fit and brought the shirt just where it belonged. Since then we've had no trouble whatever. If the bosom pouches out, or the paper collar don't fit snugly on the band, or if it chokes, or pulls down on the shoulders, or any of these things, before you cut out tho top of the bosom or do anything to the neck of it, have him try on the shirt and sit down and allow you your own time and judgment.

Nothing annoys a poor woman more than to have a man's eyes snap in anger over an ill-fitting shirt. She is very apt to retort, but this is not wise, for she can remedy the evil if she tries, and is patient and follows the above directions
                          Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                            Quit feedin that boy Galen!
                            Since he is practicing football twice a day, and doing 200 shoulder shrugs...that button is bound to fly off any day!:D
                            Galen Wagner
                            Mobile, AL

Comment

Working...
                            X