Uniforms of the southwestern confederates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniforms of the southwestern confederates

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before but I've searched the AC for it but have not been able to find it.

I've been doing a bit of research into the uniforms of the confederate army that operated in New Mexico from 1861-1862 because all I've been able to find online is that the regular enlisted man wore nothing but civilian clothes or captured Federal uniforms while only the officers were issued official confederate clothing. While knowing that those options were worn by confederates in the southwest, I find it hard to believe that they wore nothing but civilian/militia/federal uniforms. In my searching, I came across this article that addresses this issue and I wanted to share it with the AC community and open this up to discussion in order for me to see what other sources of knowledge are out there that I have been unable to find.

Here is the link to the article
    http://www.swcwa.com/Confederate_Shell_Jackets.pdf

Thanks ahead of time for any further sources that are provided here.
    Kenny Pavia
    24th Missouri Infantry

Re: Uniforms of the southwestern confederates

All the sources used are from 3rd person accounts and the article dismisses the first hand accounts.
    Officers were not issued uniforms and had purchase them.
    Andrew Grim
    The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
    x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
    Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
    Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

You mean the article dismisses first hand accounts by referring to photos, original equipment, journals, and sketches by soldiers? Granted, he probably didn't handle the journals themselves nor look at the actual photo, but if the journal is reproduced and printed in another book, its just as reliable as handling the journal itself, no? To me, that is the same as dismissing photos on the LOC site because they are merely scans of the originals and not the originals themselves. Forgive me if I've misunderstood.
      Kenny Pavia
      24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

i am a native Texan and have taken great interest in this subject as well. a few years ago, ('05 or '06 ) in an issue of either C W times or A C W, in an article titled " why the south fought " ( i think) they published a photo of an unnamed young confederate from El Paso Tx well uniformed. the caption only read "confederate El Paso Tx, 1861 " he wore a wide brim texas style stetson and an unusual shell jacket ; 9 buttons, possibly a buff or light buternut jean with most likely light blue tape trim running down the front edge, bottom, and collar but not the cuffs. it had un taped epaulettes and an apparently later-added large patch pocket on the right breast (in the photo) the most remarkable feature was that the buttons ended 3" from the bottom seam. there is a sutler now making a version of the penitentiary jacket with the buttonless lower 3" front, but w out the epaulettes or patch pocket and in the standard penitentiary undyed cotton jean. i can tell you that the jacket in the said photo was of a darker tone than undyed cotton or wool.
        shortly after obtaining this issue i had a copy of this uniform made by a retired sutler in Louisiana, opting for iron-dyed Ben Tart wool jean fabric and worsted sky blue trim. i chose this combo for the sole fact that the tone of the tape and jacket in the photo appears so close as to be the same color! obviously that would not be the case, and as yellow trim usually shows almost black in wet plate photos, and red nearly so, it vseemed the only possibility for the trim color.
        i have worn this jacket to several events and it always causes a stir. i will include photos as soon as photobucket is back online. BC

Comment

You know Kenny, I found this thread while I was trying to find some information to answer your question :). Pards out there, any information would be helpful as my information is lacking considerably.

Kenny I was poking around and saw this. I know you were asking me about my 4 button jacket: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...st+confederate
          Last edited by Ltkris81; 08-06-2009, 11:28 AM.
          Capt. Kris Larson 32°
          Wasatch Lodge #1 F&AM Utah
          Worshipful Master, Uintah Lodge #7 F&AM Utah
          Camp Floyd Historic Lodge #205 F&AM Utah
          Rocky Mountain #11 F&AM Utah
          El Kalah Shrine

Co I 4th Texas
          Iron Rooster Mess
          [I][SIZE="1"]"Nothin's harder than a metal cock!"[/SIZE][/I]

Comment

Bobs article seems to me highly speculative at best and seems to have been written with the aim of justifying the use of Confederate Uniforms in the Southwest, not so much with the aim of carefully examining the evidence to see what it suggests on its own...

While it isn't evidence in itself, I would suggest that the groups in the SWCWA have generally not been particularly concerned about authenticity in the field and so I'd strongly suggest you do your own research to see if the conclusions put forth are justified. In general it seems to me the SWCWA members prefer to look for justifications to permit various degrees of farbism if it means more folks in the ranks.
            Last edited by AZReenactor; 08-06-2009, 05:36 PM.
            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I read the article linked here, and would like to say as respectfully as possible that it was terrible.

The article is basically screaming "you can't prove they didn't have CS issued jackets!" and all evidence is presented in this context.

The author, in attempting to dismiss evidence that doesn't support his theory, inadvertently presents an overwhelming case to disprove his own point, which has very limited evidence.

I could go point by point, but is it necessary? How many people are there who actually take that article seriously?
              Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

No, you don't need to go point by point on the article because the focus of this thread is not the article but the clothing used by confederates in the southwest. But thank you for your criticism because it does make me consider it on a different light. What I do like about it is that it does point the way to a few sources that I can look into and, like had been aleady said, do my own research and come to my own conclusions.
                Kenny Pavia
                24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

I would definitely check out the sources and form your own opinions. It's an interesting topic, and there are some good sources out there. I'd highly recommend Morgan Wolfe Merrick's illustrated journal. It can be found for a very low price (at least wherever I've seen it for sale) and is a wealth of information on military and civilian clothing in the West.
                  Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Here is a picture I found that is supposed to be of Cpl. Albert G. Wilkinson of Co. F, 5th TX Mounted Rifles. I'm looking at the jacket and I've tried to compare it to other jackets online, and the closest I can identify it to is a mounted artillery jacket. Can anybody, if it's even possible, identify what this jacket is and if it is blue or grey?
                    Attached Files
                    Kenny Pavia
                    24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Kenny,

I think its obvious that there is hole in specific uniform information about the Rebels in the Southwest. Since you posted a picture of an actual soldier, might I suggest going down that road to see if you can find specific information about that one man?

A retouched tintype is a difficult source to work from. But I would agree, it looks like a jacket patterned off a US Army Mounted Service Jacket. I would say it looks like it is of a dark cloth (possibly blue) and that the trim is noticablely 'retouched'. Remember that at the start of the war Texas had several US Army units stationed there including elements of Cavalry, Dragoons and Mounted Rifles. Their respective branch colors were Yellow, Orange and Green, and they would have been issued such jackets for normal duty wear.

I would suggest researching along these lines...

1) Was Albert Wilkinson a pre-war US Soldier? May he possibly still have a mounted service jacket from that service?

2) Was Company F of the 5th Texas outfitted from any Federal Arsenal or Fort? As an example, many new South Carolina troops in Charleston in December 1860 and January 1861 were armed primarily from the Former Federal Arsenal in Charleston with M1842 Springfields. There is a famous picture of Edmund Ruffin kitted with M1839 White Buff Federal Accourtrements and a M1842 Musket.

3) Did Company F, 5th Texas recieve uniforms from a particular supplier or locality in Texas that can be verified?

I hope that is helpful, at least in a small way. I would also take heed of Troy's and Phil's words, I know they've put in serious effort in researching that area of the Civil War History. Andrew on the other hand...

Jus' Kidding there Andy...
                      Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Hi All,

Many of the men that set out with Sibley at the beginning of the war for New Mexico Territory drew clothing and equipment from San Antonio when Gen Twigg's surrenderd the United States Army stores there to the Confederate government in Texas.

Many of the Texans in the Mounted Volunteer contingents were outfitted entirely in US uniforms and equipment. Photographic evedence also shows the issue of hat brass as well for the hardee hats that ended up being issued as well . The 5th Texas Photo is of one of these recipients.

Weapons that ended up being issued from San Antonio inclused M1855 Rifle Muskets, Sharps Carbines and Rifles, M1841 Rifles, Percussion Convirted Muskets, as well as cavalry and artillery clothing & equipment.

Phil G. makes a good point & I agree with him. I have studdied the South West and the Trans Miss since being a Interpretive Ranger at Mansfiled SHS in 2003 & living in the South West. Morgan Merricks ( From Desert to Bayou) Diary is a great source to see what the TX Vols wore going out to New Mexico, and what there were wearing & issued when they came back.

Photos are another great source, but be careful to let the photo show you what is beign worn , instead of projecting uppon it what one wants to see.

Realy know the clothing and equipment of both sides, it will help in figuring out what a fellow is wearing in a period image.

There is fantactic detailed information on the South West durring the war. Just have to dig for it as it is not as readilly accesable as ANV or AoT materiel.

Hope this helps

Don S
                        Last edited by D F Smith Historic; 08-07-2009, 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling
                        Don F Smith

Comment

One only needs to refer to Moneyhon & Roberts excellent "Portraits of Conflict: Texas" to see lots of photos of men (including Wilkerson) who fought in the SW campaigns. Many are in acquired US issue clothing but others are in quasi-military attire that is quite rakish even by Texas standards.
                          Bob Williams
                          26th North Carolina Troops
                          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thanks for all of the good points and advice so far. I'll definitely search along your suggested areas, Peter. Thanks!
                            I did look more into Albert G. Wilkinson but haven't come up with anything yet. As of now, I haven't done any specific searches into the units that made up the confederate army of New Mexico. I've only done wider, more generalized searches but I'll start focusing now probably on the individual units and into the surrenders of the various federal garrisons to see what I can find. And I'll look into buying a book or two that could help. Unfortunately, I'm limited to what I can find on the internet and what books I can get a hold of since I'm in Utah. Too bad I don't live in Dallas anymore. I could've actually gone to places to do research.
                            Kenny Pavia
                            24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Bio info on Wilkinson is in the book I cited above.
                              Bob Williams
                              26th North Carolina Troops
                              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
                              X