Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clarification of Hat in the Ewing Picture

Dear Karin,

Thanks for the great descriptions. The Turkish references conjure up quite an image.

It's really a fascinating picture. It struck me the same way - that he was displaying all of his most prized posessions. I scanned it and zoomed in to see more detail of the items around his waist. It appears he has a very ornate handle (perhaps a knife) on his right and a pistol handle sticking out of his waistband on his left. He reminds me of every young boy I've ever known - the more weapons, the better. A chain of some kind wends its way across the front of his trousers and possibly ends in a watch pocket. He's wearing a cravat around his neck. I can't make out the cluster over his right ear. The hat itself appears to have a wider dark trim along the edge and a different shape at the tassel end. He looks like he's sporting his first whiskers. I can just imagine him unwrapping a package from home and parading around in his new hat and shirt. Makes me want to know more...

Comment

Re: sleep caps as regular caps

I have two examples of hats similar to sleeping caps, and they are both in the book Uniforms of the Civil War by Robin Smith and Ron Field. The first is a photo on pg. 177 of Theophilus S. Luckie, in the 6th Florida inf., co. B. He is wearing a sicilian style stocking cap under his kepi. The next is on pg. 189 of a Georgian [ name and unit unknown ] with a red tinted [ and rather fancy]
      scilian stocking cap. It would be safest to wear these caps in early war impressions , unless you find a photo of a soldier in mid- late war wearing one. *NOTE: To see these photos, you would need to go to the library, as I do not know how to put them on the web .

Ian Broadhead
      Ian Broadhead
      Liberty Rifles
      " Lee's Miserables"

Comment

Working...
      X