Messes and Camp Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messes and Camp Life

Allright, after many weeks of reading I've decided to join this great site. It seems like the best place to get answers on upgrading authenticuity.

Anyways a little background info. I've been casualy reenacting for the past 2 or 3 years but at the end of last year really decided to become a serious reenactor. The unit I'm in (5th Texas) used to be an authentic group but has since become more of a progresive group during its rebuilding stages. Its a great group, but I've taken up a cuase to help improve the camp life. I may look the part but I don't act it. Can anyone give me some basic tips on the roles of messes and anything else I can do to upgrade my impression off the battle field.

Thanks
    Andrew Donovan
    Livonia, MI
    5th Texas Co. E
    Andrew Donovan
    Livonia, MI
    5th Texas Co. E
    Medich Battalion
    Beauregard Mess

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"High Ho, de boatman row. Floatin' down de ribber, de Ohio"[/I] [/COLOR] [/FONT]

Re: Messes and Camp Life

Just some basic info:

Create a mess out of like minded pards and share cooking duties around the campfire. (You would treat this group of pards like family actually)

What ever drill manual you follow, learn it inside and out. (actually I recommend learning a few different manuals.) (I realize you want more info off the field, but this is very important to the campaigner.)

Research, research and more research.

If your kit is up to par, you could perhaps attend better events to learn more details of the soldier in camp.

At any rate, welcome Pretty Boy!!! How'd you aquire this name? Or maybe I don't really want to know :wink_smil

Hog-Eye Man
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
    Cincinnati

Comment

I would also like to add that you could incorporate some period camp activities into your impression (gambling, reading a newspaper / letter, ect...) Doing this will enhance you camp experience and if you can get a game going it will help your cause by bringing your pards in on the fun. Also these activities are great springboards for quality first person interaction.

Oh and by the way, welcome to the AC :)

-Dan Foster
      Dan Foster

Comment

Originally posted by HOG-EYE MAN
        Just some basic info:

Create a mess out of like minded pards and share cooking duties around the campfire. (You would treat this group of pards like family actually)

What ever drill manual you follow, learn it inside and out. (actually I recommend learning a few different manuals.) (I realize you want more info off the field, but this is very important to the campaigner.)

Research, research and more research.

If your kit is up to par, you could perhaps attend better events to learn more details of the soldier in camp.

At any rate, welcome Pretty Boy!!! How'd you aquire this name? Or maybe I don't really want to know :wink_smil

Hog-Eye Man
        As for how I got the name: Once I claimed to be exempt from picket duty, and when the Corporal asked why I said "I'm too pretty for gaurd duty". Well I got double the normal shift and the name stuck.
        Andrew Donovan
        Livonia, MI
        5th Texas Co. E
        Medich Battalion
        Beauregard Mess

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"High Ho, de boatman row. Floatin' down de ribber, de Ohio"[/I] [/COLOR] [/FONT]

Comment

Camp Life should be full of those mundane tasks, like waiting to wash a shirt and uniform when you are at an event. Being detailed to dig a "sink". I read in one of the other posts about a soldier who was dyeing shirts for his entire company, a perfect activity to recreate. Making an alcoholic beverage (period of course) and doing all of the steps right there at the event. Oiling Leather gear, soldiers must have spent a great deal of time in the garrision and field doing this. Repairing kit, shoes, clothing and tentage right there. Burnishing muskets and weapons, the list goes on.

Caution must be taken however, what can be done and should be done during an authentic event. Don't bite off more than you can chew, with picket duty, drill and the eventual formation for battle, sometimes there simply is not enough time to do everything that you want. So pick and choose what can be accomplished in the time alloted.

All too often, at least in my experience, I have seen fellows sitting around a fire talking. Inspection of arms is not but a half an hour away, and yet noone is cleaning uniforms, cleaning muskets, brightening buttons, etc... reality of the military is that if you show up to an inspection with a filthy musket, have made no attempt whatsoever to clean yourself and a generally loathsome appearance, you are begging for extra duty or worst.

Just my two cents worth.
          Vince Jackson
          Straggler mess

Comment

Working...
          X