CS rank insignia question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS rank insignia question

I was flipping through Echoes of Glory today, and one of the labels accompanying an image of an officer's coat states that in 1862 there was a general order that specified that braid on the sleeves DID NOT have to be put on. Unfortunately there is no citation so if someone could point me to that order, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Bill Backus

Re: CS rank insignia question

Here's what I was able to find:

From Les Jensens Study of Confederate Issue Uniforms Part 2:

" A circular from the Adjutant & Inspector General's Office date 3 June 1862, allowed officers to wear a fatigue uniform of plain grey frock or a grey jacket without embrodiery (hope I spelled that right) [on the collar only].

Jensen also states that he believes that this refers to rank being placed only on the collar, which many surviving originals from 1862 on seem to illustrate.

The link to his article is in the links page

Hope this helps,

Walter Cook
    Lt. 4th Florida Infantry

Comment

So does that mean or infer, in your opinion, that the embroidery on the sleeves is or is not still needed?
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B][SIZE="3"]James Cannon[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Sons of Confederate Veterans, Henry Watkins Allen Camp #133 (Baton Rouge, LA)[/FONT]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Louisiana State Militia, 10th Brigade[/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]“The Confederate sabreur kissed his blade homeward riding on into the mouth of hell.” [/I][/FONT]

Comment

Hallo!

My understanding, interpretation, and some of my CS officer impression practice is that the sleeve gallions were made optional.

However, the inevitably leads to the discussions about what was time/place/unit/man "regulation" and what actual practices were allowed and chosen in the field- such as some 1861/62ish officers choosing to wear "Federal" style should boards.

(As seen on numerous CS officer images...)

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I don't have the references handy, but when we were preparing for a Perryville event ... well, several 1862 Kentucky campaign events over the last several years ... eyewitness accounts and personal memoirs indicated that many officers were wearing civilian clothing, so it is extremely doubtful they were concerned with shiney sleeves.
          Joe Smotherman

Comment

Curt and Joe, you are both quite correct, the dress of officers would be dictated by numerous things ,among them:

Economic level ( Remeber officers private purchased their uniforms)
            Time Period of War
            State of Orgin
            Campaign involed in
            Geographic Location

While we like to imagine officers as the jim dandy's of the war, for many this was never achived. In the book [I]Cadet Grey and Butternut Brown: Note on Confederate Uniforms [I]by Thomas M. Arlikas we have several images as well as accounts of officer dress. Ie. on page 16 we have a 1st Lt. in a regulation Double Breasted Jacket complete with trimed kepi, sleeve bullion, and Collar isignia. This photo is assumed to be taken in 1861 or 1862.
            At Fort Donelson we have an account which staes..." with the exception of Col. Davidson of Mississippi, their officers could not being distingushed from Privates." So that leaves the question What did the privates look like, well of the seven accounts all describe un-uniformity in dress and many describe the men as wearing citizens clothing.
            Heres an account from ANV prisoners of the 28th N.C.
            " In a corner lying mostly apart,were a Major, three Capts., three Lt...dressed in rich gray cassimere, trimmed in black, and wearing black plummed hats, adorned with ostrich feathers.
            On page 73, we have three officers. The first is a major in complete regulation attire, the second is wearing a single breated frock, the third is wearing a double breasted coat with no visible trim.
            In an account from 1864, we have descriptions of officers in coats made of.." blue jeans, homespun of butterneut, and a few coustumes of gray." The account mentions several styles of headgear, straw and slouch hats, forgae caps of gray, blue, or red with braid. Their effects, are said to be wrapped in rubber sheets, peices of quilts, and haversacks of waterproof cloth.

It is also interesting to note that by 1864, the cost of a complete officer kit was $950 to $1,000 plus dollars (the pay of a 2nd Lt. was only $80) causing the C.S. congress in March 1864 to allow officers to buy privates uniforms from the goverment. And, while some put isignia on their coats, many opted not to. To support this we have countless accounts of officers looking identical to their men, with many wearing their swords, sword belt, and revolver as their only badge of rank.

On the books latst page we have a drawing of three officers, one is in a double breasted coat, one a sack coat like garment, the other civilian clothing. The three have little to no trim and only the double breasted coated officer has a kepi, the other two are in slouch hats

Hope this helps,

Walter Cook
            lt. 4th Florida
            7lb Bacon mess

Comment

Walter,
              This is not a challenge to your research, but I am curious to see how you came up with the 950 to 1000 for an officer's kit. What did you include and prices?
              Rob Bruno
              1st MD Cav
              http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Not a problem, in the same source as above, the author says that the list of prices, was sent along with a resolution from the officers of Bates divison, A.O.T. which in part stated "...and it has become impossible for regimental and line officers, especially subalterns, to subsist and clothe themselves out of pay allowed from the goverment." ( This was found by the writer in Official Records, Vol. XXXII Pt.I,651-667)
                The schedule of prices was as follows:
                Frock Coat $350
                Boots $200
                pants $125
                hat $80-125
                shirts $50
                drawers $15
                socks $10
                Total $ 980-1000+
                ( Sorry about early, I meant to say 980, not 950)

In support of this one Confederate officer, stated his uniform set him back over $1700 dollars.

This lead the Goverment in March 1864, to issue General Order Number 28.

While I'm here also in the Sources there is a attached note which says:
                According to Les Jensen, noted authority on Confederate uniforms,Confederate officers were allowed to disregard cuff laces due to the expense and trouble of procurring them in the feild as early as 1862.
                (Interveiw)

Hope this helps,

Walter Cook
                Lt. 4th Florida
                7lb of Bacon mess

Comment

Thanks Walter,
                  That does help. I have been looking at equipment reimbursments and the price of horses on the cavarly side. Men would be paid a bulk number for horse equipment and it has been difficult to find a break down of what they were being paid for. That is why I was curious about the listing of prices for garments. Hard to believe how expensive stuff was even then.
                  Thanks,
                  Rob Bruno
                  1st MD Cav
                  http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Working...
                  X