Wool Felt Hardee Hats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wool Felt Hardee Hats?

I have thought that the Hardee hats were fur felt. However, this link supposedly shows an old *wool* felt Hardee with a price tag of $2875..

Of course, I would hesitate to cite the written description of the hat as "authoritative." It could be an error.

Were there perhaps any wool felt Hardees?

Murray Therrell

Re: Wool Felt Hardee Hats?

Or, let me ask the question in a different way (after reading a discussion elsewhere in the forum that included mentions of "cheap" civilian wool felt hats):

The Hardee hats were undoubtedly made as military headgear by contractors, who would have produced the hats according to some sorts of precise specifications (coming from one who worked for some years for a military contractor).

Where might one find the government specifications for the felt for Hardee hats? I haven't hit on anything on the Internet, which is a better source for this type of research than any rural libraries in rural Arkansas.

Murray Therrell

Comment

Cowan's auction description is incorrect. The M1858 Uniform hat was manufactured of Fur felt, not wool, "four ounces of Russian Harre, carrated, and 1/2 ounce of the best Scotch Coney', according to the Quartermaster's contract with John G. Snyder on July 30, 1858. It is also stated in the 1861 Uniform Regulations.
      Scott Cross
      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Just what I was looking for Scott. Thank you! I kept hitting walls in my searches for precise material specifications.

Murray Therrell

Comment

Oh, and Scott, your past post on the M1858 hat is really excellent (I found it in search). Thanks for your research and the post.

Last edited by Crowley Greene; 09-02-2009, 05:18 PM. Reason: Added link to previous post on M1858 Uniform Hat

Comment

Working...
          X