PVT. J.E.Johnson frock coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVT. J.E.Johnson frock coat

was thinking about trying to make a frock that matched or looks close to his frock.pvt.j.e.johnson 29th AL Inf. eog pg.131.

can anybody help me with the color that would best match the color of jeans used in his jacket? 2nd a good place to get eagle buttons for this. thanks for any help

donald holm

Re: PVT. J.E.Johnson frock coat

Donald,

I believe the buttons on the frock are AL State Scroll style. I saw the coat in Atlanta last summer but they had it openned where you could not see the buttons.
    Jim Busby
    Walton Guards
    Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
    Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
    Co C 3rd US Inf
    www.waltonguards.org

Comment

Donald,

I would try contacting the Atlanta History Center, as that frock now resides in the collection there. They may have a survey of it and be able to tell you the colors and any other information you need on the coat.

Robert W. Hughes
      Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
      Thrasher Mess
      Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
      ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
      Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
      And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

ask for Gordon Jones, he should set you straight.
        Bryant Roberts
        Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
        palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

The coat is a real close match to Ben Tart sumac jean I think.

Greg Starbuck
          The brave respect the brave. The brave
          Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
          That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
          And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

I have an excellent reproduction of this coat (Johnston), made a few years ago by Don Roder. Keep in mind that the coat also has some interesting aspects...1) the skirt was not put on correctly and 2) they ran out of material when making the coat and the sleeve has a pice of material sewn into it. Don made suer he made my coat with these same details. The photo and my repro have Eagle buttons. Unfortunatley, I have not spoken with DOn in years and I don't think he is still making garments. I suggest Joe Blunt mudcatsgt@earthlink.net

Good luck,
            Jim Butler
            Jim Butler

Comment

Some interestng other points to the Johnson frock.
              One it now is a tan/butternut color. From what I've seen, if it faded, it happened some time ago.
              2. The cut seems to be a double breasted. I say this because both front body panels have button hole extensions...as seen on many d. br. frocks. BUT the buttonholes are only on the left hand side.
              3. The buttons on it now are US gen. service eagles. It was displayed on a form many years back and had a good look at it.
              4. The lining is a heavier brown cotton. Interesting enough is that on the interior facing on the buttonhole exts...the jean only goes down about 3 buttons and then pieced with the same lining material.
              5. Yes there is some freaky piecing on the sleeves. One is about 7 and the other about 9. Mostly down near the cuff and it is some serious puzzle work.

I have built one like this many years back after having the chance to see it and get some notes. This is a prime example of a coat that was made using every bit of scrap available. To do one like that now is a great deal of work, especially with the sleeves. If you want a frock similar to it, it is best to just go without all the freaky piecings. But then again, I was crazy enough to tackle it once....note ONCE.
              Cheers,
              Joe Blunt
              "...don't rush the judgement, until all the facts are in."

Comment

where would be a good place to buy eagle buttons? or witch vendor here has good ones? thanks

Donald Holm

Comment

Here is a phot of the Don Roder repro coat. It looks like a very good reproduction of the original. I chose a different color liner (which I wish I had not done).

Jim Butler
                  Attached Files
                  Jim Butler

Comment

An interesting feature was his initials were sewn inside the coat by his wife.

Joe Walker

Comment

There is a similar (by similar I mean frock coat ID'd to a confederate soldier wounded in the 1864 campaign in VA, that was sent from home) frock coat here at the relic room in Columbia.. it is a dark brown and is a cassimere or twill material. I'll see if I can get some picks. it has a slash pocket on the left breast, but the facing is only aboujt a half inch. when the coat was donated, they found a large twist of tobacco inside the tail pocket. Even though the depot system was up and running at peak in the spring of '64, there was still a good deal of "momma made" being worn in the CS ranks.
                      Bryant Roberts
                      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                      X