Small Event Command Rank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Event Command Rank

Good afternoon everybody. I have what may seem like a dumb question but I need to get some opnions on something. We have an event coming up next week here in Utah and I have been given command of the Confederates. Usually here I go as a first sergeant as we only have about 10 that show up to anything at the most. At this event we may have 25 Confederates (we are a small group out here). I am trying to think of what would be the most appropriate rank for me to wear? I was thinking of just a captain and then have maybe one Lt under me. My biggest concern is that I dont want to be too low a rank but certainly NOT too high. I cannot stand a General in charge of 5 guys.... If we have 25 Confederate infantry then I was thinking one company with two platoons each led by a sergeant and then one Lt to command them. Would this be about right? I have been to events where they have one captain for 10 guys. Sorry if this does not belong in this forum and if not Mods please remove or move it. I just want to do the most accurate impression. Thanks in advance!
    Capt. Kris Larson 32°
    Wasatch Lodge #1 F&AM Utah
    Worshipful Master, Uintah Lodge #7 F&AM Utah
    Camp Floyd Historic Lodge #205 F&AM Utah
    Rocky Mountain #11 F&AM Utah
    El Kalah Shrine

Co I 4th Texas
    Iron Rooster Mess
    [I][SIZE="1"]"Nothin's harder than a metal cock!"[/SIZE][/I]

Re: Small Event Command Rank

Here are a couple of questions to ask yourself:

1) What scenario are we portraying and what do we know about the existing rank structures at that time? An 1861-62 scenario is more likely to have proper rank/soldier ratio structure. There haven't yet been the massive casualties or disease, so companies are larger and there are more straps around. An April 1865 scenario might find a sergeant in command of a company in a front line unit that has seen heavy fighting.

2) What unit portrayal are you doing? What do you know about their actual rank structure?

Don't over think this. With 25 guys on the ground, you can justify a Lt rank or a sergeant's rank, whichever you feel is more appropriate based on the above questions.

If you don't really have answers for the questions because you are doing a more generic event scenario, then the answer is: Whatever you want to do.
    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Working...
    X