Period Pugilism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Pugilism

Looking for accounts of period pugilistic events...military or civilian.

Thanks

Re: Period Pugilism

Any info on period boxing gloves is appreciated.

From the London Times, April 27, 1861

This is sparring with boxing gloves — not the loaded castus of modern warfare. It is a mere spectacle. The population and even the ladies of Charleston poured forth to see the sight. Ten thousand soldiers lined the works, watching the sport and contributing their share.

Comment

here ya go Chris...Taking up boxing?:)

[SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Perhaps...

DAILY TIMES [LEAVENWORTH, KS], March 12, 1861, p. 3, c. 2
        Sparring.—Several world-renowned professors of the "manly art of self-defence," give an exhibition, this (Tuesday) evening, at the Melodeon.

DAILY TIMES [LEAVENWORTH, KS], April 9, 1861, p. 3, c. 2
        Sportsman's Hall—Rat Pit! Rat Dogs!! Rats!!!—The undersigned have just completed their Rat Pit on the Levee, next door to T. Carney & Co's warehouse, entrance through the Commercial Exchange Saloon, and will furnish rats to try dogs, train dogs, and give exhibitions twice a week during the spring and summer. The entertainments will consist of Rat Killing, Coon Baiting, Cock Matches, Sparring and other similar sports.
        N. B.—Enoch Davies, celebrated as a pugilist under the name of "Rough Enoch," will superintend this department and give lessons in sparring at the rooms. The Saloon is supplied with the best of Wines, Liquors and Cigars. Strict order and decorum will be preserved.
        Davies & Coleman.

And for fun...

DAILY TIMES [LEAVENWORTH, KS], April 10, 1861, p. 3, c. 2
        The "rat pit" establishment attracts large crowds, and affords great amusement to the "sports." The only difficulty experienced thus far has been a scarcity of rats.

http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/leaven...imes_60-61.htm
        ---------------
        Benjamin L. Clark
        [URL="http://www.themondak.org"]MonDak Heritage Center[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.montanamuseums.org/"]Museums Assoc. of Montana[/URL]

Comment

If I may... I've found more:
          DAILY TIMES [LEAVENWORTH, KS], April 20, 1861, p. 3, c. 2
          To all Lovers of Health.—The Western Gymnasium has been opened by Prof. Taylor and Tom. Wallace, for the accommodation of the respectable gentlemen of Leavenworth, corner of Main and Cherokee streets. The Saloon is supplied with the choicest of Wines, Liquors and Cigars, and is under the superintendence of Tom Wallace. The Gymnasium is most complete in all its appointments, and is under the management of Prof. Taylor. For terms and hours of both exercise and tuition in Boxing, see printed show-cards, or apply at the room.
          ---------------
          Benjamin L. Clark
          [URL="http://www.themondak.org"]MonDak Heritage Center[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.montanamuseums.org/"]Museums Assoc. of Montana[/URL]

Comment

There is an interesting account from the regimental history of the Sixty-Third Pennsylvania, which occurred during the early stages of the Petersburg Campaign. Occupying the vacant trenches of Gibbon's Tenth Corps, the regiment, belonging to Gersham Mott's division of the Second Corps, arranged a temporary truce with the Confederates in their front - “a field of corn between the lines in our front was bisected about midway by a deep ditch which, by tacit agreement, constituted the dividing of the belligerents in their ownership of the coveted roasting ears.”

The following ensued:

During the forenoon, a big Yank of our division confronted an equally big Johnny Reb of a Florida regiment, on our side of the ditch with his arms full of fine roasting ears. Our representative, with a due appreciation of the laws of “meum and tuum,” ordered Mr. Reb to turn over his load to Uncle Sam. A verbal duel between the two followed, supplemented by a challenge from Mr. Yank to decide the rights of the case according to Marquis of Queensbury rules. The challenge was accepted, the Floridian threw down his spoils, a ring was formed by the soldiers of both armies to see “fair play” and the contestants preceded to discuss the ownership…with their fists after the most approved rules of the prize ring. Owing to superior strength and skill, our man was declared the victor….Not an angry word was spoken on either side, and the combatants shook hands when the victory was won.
            (William H. Morrow, Under the Red Patch: The Story of the Sixty-third Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-1864, ed. Gilbert Adams Hays (1908; Salem: Higginson Book Co., reprint date unknown) 269-70).
            Harton Semple III

Comment

Chris:

Contact Joe "The Carthagenian" Caridi at caridijp@vcu.edu

He has a ton of research on this item.
              Ley Watson
              POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Thanks the subject event attendance plans didn't work out for me.

CR

Comment

Chris,

There are a couple of accounts in David Madden's book "Byond the Battlefield, The Ordinary life and extraordinary times of the Civil War Soldier". The period gloves of the time were not known as gloves but "mufflers". The professionals did not use them but amateurs did. I cannot take the time to break it all down for your but that is a start. Now, during the war it was illegal to hold pugilism matches. However, they were done and attended by all classes of people. I cannont recall offhand some of the better known pugilists but they were champions just the same. All this information is available on line. Try looking up 19th Century Pugilism. I hope this helps. If your are planning on trying to pull this off, it takes time and effort by both participants. Each must train just as if it were an actual match. Both will get hit. It is also nice to have the participants in close proximaty to each other to spar. We have done this at Cedar Creek a long time ago and at "Winter of 64" in 2008. In 2008 my opponent cracked three of my ribs. All for the love of history.
                  Peter J. "Pete" McCarthy
                  POC'R Boy's Mess/Columbia Rifles

"As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6:10

Comment

Originally posted by MacCaithaigh View Post
                    Chris,

Both will get hit. All for the love of history.
                    This was this idea and it was for the love of putting a popknot on each other and for to make money for "history" preservation as civlians.

Maybe someother time, some other hobby. I am totaly removed from the civilian community.
                    Last edited by OldKingCrow; 09-12-2009, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X