Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period advice

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, June 2, 1862, p. 2, c. 4

Editor Telegraph: I have had many young men who are going to the war to ask me what a man was most likely to want in camp. I universally informed them that they are apt to want more than they can carry. For the information of the above mentioned I thought I would give you a list of such articles as are required in camp; that is, the wardrobe, bedding, &c.

In Summer.

1 heavy Blanket; 1 piece oil cloth, 6 feet by 3; 3 worsted shirts; 1 pr. uniform pants; 1 pr. fatigue do; 2 pr. drawers, cotton or linen; 2 good cotton or silk handkerchiefs and as many half hose as you can get in your knapsack after putting in all other articles mentioned in list. 1 piece hand soap; a small quantity of writing paper, a few envelopes, and pencil; 1 hairbrush and comb; 1 fine tooth comb, known in camp as a skirmisher; 1 tooth brush and a paper of large size pins.

If you belong to infantry take your canteen, but be very careful to leave at home your load of pistols and heavy knives, as you are likely to injure yourself and comrades more than the enemy.

Soldier.

Vicki Betts
    vbetts@gower.net
Working...
X