Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Buttons on Type IIs

Greetings Folks,

I was sorting through my images last night and had my interest piqued again by these images. The first is the shoulder strap button on Pvt. James Woods Brunson's kersey Type II. The next is an image that was for sale a number of years back. Note the similarities with at least the button's rounded center on the jackets. Are the gentleman's buttons wooden? Who knows for sure but they do look similar to my eye. Anyway, the wooden button on Brunson's jacket is not a replacement and match the indentations on the nine button front. Interesting comparison.

There's your CS material culture fix for the day!

Regards,

Neill Rose
    PLHA
    Attached Files

Re: Wooden Buttons on Type IIs

Neill,
    Is Brunson's jacket on display at the SC Relic Room? I visited the museum for the first time a few months ago and seem to remember there being a wooden button on the shoulder strap. I also recall the jacket was machine topstitched? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    The buttons in the picture sure to appear to be a non metalic substance. It would be nice to have a date with that photo...
    Mark Taylor

Comment

Hey Mark,

Yep, Brunson's jacket is at the SCCRR&M and is the only know example of a machine top stitched Type II (that I know of). The jackets in the image appear to be kersey too so one can make some general assumptions as far as dating. Brunson wore his back to SC from Va when the Pee Dee Lt Atty was transferred to the coast in 1864.

Thanks,

Neill Rose
      PLHA

Comment

Goes to show it's always good to use the search engine. These are from a post back in 2007...Gardner's images of the Gettysburg dead at the Rose Farm. Interesting...

Neill Rose
        PLHA
        Attached Files

Comment

Neill,

I think there is another machine sewn kersey RD II somewhere in Indiana; a museum in Indianapolis, maybe.

Below is another image of a Confederate soldier wearing what appears to be a Richmond Depot jacket with wooden buttons.
          Brian White
          [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
          [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
          [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

There was a jacket in Springfield, Il (I believe it was on displayed at the old capital) that looks like a RD2 with wooden buttons. Unfortunately, nothing is know where it came from.
            Brian Baird
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Brian Baird; 09-02-2009, 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Brian and Brian,

Great information and images...many thanks! Nice to see some originals are our there.

Regards,

Neill Rose
              PLHA

Comment

Neill,
                Those buttons look very similar to the ones on the May shelter-half.
                Attached Files
                Rich Taddeo
                Shocker Mess
                "Don't do it, you're going to get hurt." Jerry Stiles @ Sky Meadows moments before I fell and broke my leg.

Comment

Rich,

Wow, you aren't kidding! Nice image too...any more on the May shelter half or have we discussed this before. Thanks, very interesting!

Neill

Comment

. . . And on CS trousers (from one of the Ft. Mahone photo groups).
                    Bob Williams
                    26th North Carolina Troops
                    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Rich,

Holy cow, the May shelter half has wooden buttons? I have never seen a close-up of it before and assumed that it had darkened bone buttons. Not to hijack the thread, but is the May shelter half CS produced or captured Federal? That cloth looks like some osnaburg I've seen in CS garments.
                      Brian White
                      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Folks,

Figured you might be interested in this. I just sent off a pair of jackets to a friend of mine with buttons of this type. They are MB&S buttons with a couple of extra holes drilled in them. I thought this came out nicely!
                        Attached Files
                        Dan Wambaugh
                        Wambaugh, White, & Company
                        www.wwandcompany.com
                        517-303-3609
                        Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

While it's not a type II, rather a type III the jacket at Appomattox has wooden buttons, it also has darts around the collar not visible in the photo.

Regards,
                          Attached Files
                          -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
                          93rd New York Coffee Cooler
                          [I]
                          "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
                          [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

The above "Appomattox" jacket was worn by a member of the Richmond Otey Battery and used to be at the Manassas NPS museum. "Old Sutler John" used to carry buttons identical to these before he passed on. Whoever runs the establishment now may still have them.
                            Last edited by roundshot; 09-04-2009, 04:27 PM. Reason: add comment
                            Bob Williams
                            26th North Carolina Troops
                            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Guys,
                              I found this article on the Liberty Rifles web site that has a picture of a fellow in a RDII with wooden buttons (27th NC Inf). The article states the jackets were made of English Cloth.
                              Attached Files
                              Mark Taylor

Comment

Working...
                              X