variegated jackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• variegated jackets

Does anyone know of any pictures of confed. soldiers in jackets/coats of variegated jeans? Or have any info. of it being used.I have used he search here but came up with nothing,but pants and jackets for sale. thanks for any help

Donald Holm

Re: variegated jackets

Antietam had on display a few years back, part of a uniform jacket that was constructed of varigated jean. I do not remember if there was any info provided about the jacket or it's owner in the display....Jerry Stiles

Comment

Originally posted by JStiles View Post
      Antietam had on display a few years back, part of a uniform jacket that was constructed of varigated jean. I do not remember if there was any info provided about the jacket or it's owner in the display....Jerry Stiles

I believe it was on display (or its sleeve was) at our recent LH, IIRC.
      Bob Muehleisen
      Furious Five
      Cin, O.

Comment

The sleave was on display at Antietam National Battlefield Park's visitors center for years. The sleave was attributed to a soldier wounded at a rear guard action at Braddock Heights, Maryland. The only Confederate unit there was the Jeff Davis Legion.

The sleave was of a brown and white variegation. How common this particular cloth color and pattern were is not clear. I have read of similar pattern described in civilian clothing in the Shenendoah Valley. I haven't uncovered any evidence of any other color combinations. This is probably goods spun and woven at home.

John Sweeney

Comment

Also look at Pvt Weller's vest. I know that it is not a jacket, but it does show variegated material in use. The second pic shows the material the best.

Here are two pic's of the vest. I don't remember where I got them, but I hope it does not step on anyone's feet.

The sleeve was on display at Antietam while I worked there some years back. These are the two examples of the material in use during the war.

Thanks.

Brent Brumagin
          Brent Brumagin

Comment

Folks,

What (if any) evidence is there that the sleeve on display at Antietam came from any sort of military garment, and not a civilian garment worn by a Confederate soldier? The reason I ask is that thus far I have only seen variegated jean being used in civilian clothing both in photographs and surviving originals. I do know of one vest that I have examined made from variegated jean that was definitely used by a Confederate soldier, but even that was made to a civilian pattern.

Not trying to stir the pot here, I just have yet to see any hard evidence that justifies the overabundance of military garments made from variegated jeans that show up at every authentic event. Does this material have a place in CS material culture? Sure. But to the extent that has been thus far represented? Perhaps not. The occasional vest, pair of trousers, or even civilian pattern jacket is one thing, but I cringe every time I see someone proudly wearing their depot produced jacket made from material that would make General Pickett blush.
            Dan Wambaugh
            Wambaugh, White, & Company
            www.wwandcompany.com
            517-303-3609
            Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

The only item I have seen attributed to a Confederate Soldier was a pair of blue and white variegated jean trousers housed in Mississippi. There are also a few shots of Mississippi troops wearing variegated jean trousers. But I tend to agree with Dan that there is an over abundance of this stuff sometimes.
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

Folks,

Thought you might find these examples interesting. First is the aforementioned vest which was likely made at home and on a civilian pattern. Notice the run of the cloth goes in two different directions! It has a mix of flower and eagle buttons. It was worn by a ANV cavalryman in the winter of '63-'64.

Second is the pair of trousers Landrum mentioned. The provenance would also lend these trousers to something not produced by the CS central government. Notice the lighter shading toward the top, perhaps where a jacket or coat was keeping the dust off the upper portion of the trousers!

Best,
                Last edited by Dan Wambaugh; 10-07-2009, 12:07 PM.
                Dan Wambaugh
                Wambaugh, White, & Company
                www.wwandcompany.com
                517-303-3609
                Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Thank you fellers for your posts. I've always thought that variegated jeans was way over represented in the hobby, and particularly as military issue.

John Sweeney

Comment

As stated by Dan, the sleeve at Antietam doesn't tell us if it was military or civilian. The only military item I have seen of varigated was a dark brown and black double breasted frock (military cut) that was housed at the Atlanta History Center...back when it was in the older facility and not in the current one. In fact, I remember buying a postcard that had the mannequin wearing it. It isn't on display now and don't know if it is even still in the collection.
                    On the GalaRock website, under the original pieces, there are photos of a US officer shell that is lined with verigated. Again, like the Weller vest, proof that it is used for linings.
                    Like Sweeny stated. It is a bit overrepresented. It is not a fine cloth and can only see it being used for workclothes, linings and ersatz pieces. On the other hand...it is pretty interesting material.
                    Cheers,
                    Joe Blunt
                    "...don't rush the judgement, until all the facts are in."

Comment

There are also a pair of field-made "epaulettes" cut from orange and red variegated jean. These are in the Museum of the Confederacy and shown in Echoes of Glory: CS under the section about early war militia uniforms and identifying insignia worn at Bull Run.
                      Brian White
                      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

thanks for all the info and pics.

donald holm

Comment

Just a thought, but there is also a pair of unfinished pair cloth shoes made from what appears of be variegated jean and wooden soles. I am not sure if it is true variegated jean, but it looks very close The shoes where found in Atlanta when the city fell, and you can see a picture of them on page 65 of Don Troiani's Civil War Infantry. While this does not prove that depots used variegated jean for jackets or trousers, it would indicate that they used it in some items.

Andrew
                          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

My proposition wasn't that the material didn't exist, but, however, that it was homespun, and therefor not an issue item.
                            It is also my humble opinion that veriagated jeans is over represented as a uniform material in the "hobby".

Most Respectfully,
                            John Sweeney

Comment

There still isn't enough blue gray kersey. Too many folks are stuck with the "kewlness" factor of jean.
                              Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Working...
                              X