19th Century Dog Leash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19th Century Dog Leash.

I know this was already mentioned by Marvin Greer already, but I noticed there wasnt any mention of a leash. I did see one photograph in the post which was helpful, but does anyone have anthing specific on leashes?
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Marissa Glade[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][QUOTE]Abraham Lincoln once said that if you are a racist, I will attack you with the North. And those are the principles that I carry with me in the workplace. -Michael Scott[/QUOTE][/COLOR]

Re: 19th Century Dog Leash.

Marissa,

There are two books you may find interesting and may offer you an answer to your question.
    1. "Tools For The Trades and Crafts", and Eighteenth Century Pattern book, by R, Timmins & Sons, Birmingham.
    This is a reprint of a Trade Catalog who's most recent printing was 1880 title on page 24, with the addition of prints dating to that time period. Most of the prints contained within the book pre date 1855.
    Page 173, plate,133 has a variety of "dog" related items you may find helpful. You may also find other pages elsewhere in this book related to hunting dog items, including gun tools and gun cleaning items.

2. Another book you may find interesting is, "Decorative Antique Ironwork", by Henry Rene D'Allemagne. subtitled, 'A Pictorial Treasury', with over 4500 objects illustrated on over 415 photographic plates.
    This is very cool, it has decorative iron objects from Roman times to about 1840. Who would think of iron in the making of jewelry? You will find it here.

Comment

Re: 19th Century Dog Leash.

Greetings Ms Glade - Yours is an interesting question. I have specific info for chains & leashes (leads), collars & dog locks, checks, muzzles, whistles, dog food/biscuits, etc and have assembled a primer of sorts on post-ACW era sporting dogs. The catch is (and there is always a catch...) that my research is primarily from 1880s era sporting catalogs. However, it still may be of interest to you nonetheless as Victorian dog info. PM me your personal e-mail and I'll forward what I have if you're keen.

Blair - I have and frequently use my copy of the c1845 Catalogue of Tools for Trades and Crafts and really enjoy it as a reference. The all-metal, integral locking dog collar you referred to is one of many really interesting items detailed in it for sure. Definitely a book to have on the library shelf.

G
      Last edited by gschult3; 07-30-2010, 04:54 AM. Reason: spelling
      [I][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]Greg Schultz[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
      [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2]Delmonico Mess[/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2] F&AM[/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2]amateur wet plate photographer[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
      X