Types of Enfield and Springfield ramrods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Types of Enfield and Springfield ramrods

Do you want an Enfield ramrod or are you looking for the proper ramrod for an M-1864 Springfield? You do know they are the same exept for about a inch in overall length?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________

Blair:
    What is this about the P53 ramrod and US 1864 being "the same?" The same how?
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 09-09-2009, 05:30 PM.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Re: Enfield Ramrod

Delete info by poster
    Last edited by Blair; 09-08-2009, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Re: Types of Enfield ramrods

Delete info by Poster
      Last edited by Blair; 09-08-2009, 09:52 PM.

Comment

The subject title of this thread was changed to "Types of Enfield ramrods" when it was created by the Moderator.
        I felt that this subject title made it inappropriate to be discussing a specified type of "Springfield" ramrod.
        As a result, I removed the documentation I had posted.
        Thank you,

Comment

Since this post is what it is, if you buy an original Enfield be aware that some Snider type IV (or III, I can't find my documentation) ramrods are coming in from the sand box and being married to Enfields without ramrods. This ramrod is thick at the tulip end like a P-53 but tapers down very quickly after entering the channel in the stock to the same diameter as the thread portion on the end. This ramrod (cleaning rod) was supplied with the manufactured Sniders and not the converted ones. It was an effort to reduce the weight of the arm by removing the excess metal that was not needed since the rod was to function as a cleaning rod. The source of this information was several e-mails with Geoff Walden and an article on the internet about reducing the weight of the manufactured Sniders. Unfortunally this information seems to have been lost in my last computer crash.
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Thread on the Springfield ramrod can be found here - http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ad.php?t=24645
            Last edited by JimKindred; 09-10-2009, 05:25 PM. Reason: issue resolved
            Jim Kindred

Comment

Re: Types of Enfield and Springfield ramrods

Jim,

Thank you, there was no need for the change. I started another thread with a more appropriate subject title and with the pertinent documentation.
              Both sets of toys are now safe.
              Again, thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X