Enfield Barrel Bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enfield Barrel Bands

I'm in the process of having my Parker Hale Enfield defarbed by Todd Watts. He said that to get the correct look for a London gun I should get him the proper Palmer bands. I see that the Rifle Shoppe has these listed but I know they can take for ever. Who else carries these in a reproduction or have you received them quickly from the Rifle Shoppe.

J.M. Perry
    J. Michael Perry

Re: Enfield Barrel Bands

You can check with Lodgewood. They have a lot of original parts for enfields including the bands. They might have the reproduction bands as well.

[SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

You may try,

Nick Brevet
      The Gator Din
      607 Eversole Road
      Cincinnati, OH. 45230 ph # 513-232-7045 (this maybe an old #)

or

Terry Kirkpatrick
      Antique Guns and Parts of VA
      199 Mill Village Cir.
      Clarksville, VA. 23927 ph # 434-374-0756

There is a third but he is going Caribou hunting. You wont stand a chance of getting anyhing from him until after he gets back in early Oct.
      I hope you find some use from these,

Comment

The Rifle Shoppe is your best bet for correct parts but you may have to wait, call first to see if and when they are available. They are a small operation with the capability of producing just about any part for any 18th or 19th Century musket, but they only keep a certain number of items in stock, a huge inventory would simply be too costly for them to maintain.

Be aware that the parts come "as cast" and you will need to know how to use a file properly, and have decent drill press skills as well as the correct sized taps to cut threads for the correct screws. You will also need to know how to polish and apply the correct finish.

Thomas Pare Hern
        Co. A, 4th Virginia
        Stonewall Brigade

Comment

I agree with ACo.
          What the Rifle Shoppe produces is pretty good stuff.
          They use the lost wax process of spin casting with their molds being based off of original parts. The problem with this is that depending on the type of material used in the casting process, there may be as much as 3 to 5 % shrinkage involved from the original to the finished product. (Brass, bronze, iron and steel all having different cooling and therefore different shrink rates to the original item.)
          The Rifle Shoppes Products are indeed good, but, I would suggest anyone wanting to use their products plan on ordering what you "may" need at least one full year in advance of when you think you may need it.
          Or, finding a source for an original item. The address I gave you in the earlier posting, are for original items.
          Or, if you are good with a file and have a drill press... you can make your own parts in a fraction of the time it takes for The Rifle Shoppe to send them to you.
          Or, you could die of old age.

Comment

I have put Armi-sport bands on my 80s vintage Parker-Hale - they fit with little difficulty, but I did reshape the outside a little and heat blued them instead of leaving them case hardened. Also, I did have to cut the threads on the middle screw longer, as I couldn't tighten it properly...probably as the Armi-sport barrel is fatter in the middle.

Yes, by all means call the Rifle Shop before you order. My last order of parts came in three days...because they actually had them in stock.

Good luck!

Dave
            David Stone

Comment

3 days Dave? Not bad, mine came in 9 days. :D As said before, call first, usually before lunch their time is best and avoid calling Friday which is a busy day in a small operation. If it is in stock you are usually okay, if not, wait until it is or find parts elsewhere. If you can..... :) My experiences with them have always been good but others have had problems, often due to a lack of understanding of the process.
              Thomas Pare Hern
              Co. A, 4th Virginia
              Stonewall Brigade

Comment

I used the Armi Sport lower and mid bands on my early PH. They were fairly easy to fit and look tolerably well. I also reblued them using the cold blue method I also used on the barrel.
                Attached Files
                Jim Mayo
                Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
                X