Remarked M1841 Lockplates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remarked M1841 Lockplates?

I just "won" a used Mississippi Rifle on Auction Arms at a bargain price. Does anyone know of a vendor who makes repro Model 1841 plate or remarks Italian reproduction plates?

Thanks

Mark Hubbs
    Mark Hubbs
    My book, The Secret of Wattensaw Bayou, is availible at Amazon.com and other on-line book sellers

Visit my history and archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Re: Remarked M1841 Lockplates?

I personally would try Lodgewood first. I don't do a lot of wheeling and dealing on guns, but have owned, authenticated several. Bill has always had what I needed or pointed me in a good direction.
    Congrats.
    Patrick
    Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
    Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Thanks,

Niether Lodgewood or S&S sell a reproduction plate for a M1841. They have M61s, 55s, Richmonds, Fayettevilles and various Enfields. But alas, no 41s.:(

I suspect the demand is not high enough to repop them. But maybe someone out there can re-mark one for me.

Mark Hubbs
      Mark Hubbs
      My book, The Secret of Wattensaw Bayou, is availible at Amazon.com and other on-line book sellers

Comment

Hallo!

IIRC...

James River Armory offers (used to offer) several stamped plate options.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Well I'll be damned!

If nothing else works, you might try joining the NSSA site and looking for one there among those shooters.
          Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
          Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Get in contact with Todd Watts, He informed me that He does do 41's from time to time. I just wish I would have been home Sunday morning, I was eyeing that same rifle!
            Ron Moen
            Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
            CWPT
            E Clampus Vitus

Comment

Mark
              I got my M1841 Whitney '54 lock plate from James River. Tell them what year you want stamped (based on production year).

Roger Hansen

Comment

Hey, you got the modern sighted Bernadelli US 1841 off auction arms? I got the other one. Those early US 1841s from the likes of Zoli and Bernadelli were actually pretty well made...better than the EoA version available now. Yeah, my plan is to have Watts de-farb mine at some point when he is not so busy making the hobby better one Enfield at a time. Is Mark Hartman at JRA still doing Civil War defarb work? I have not heard from him lately. The only thing with getting another plate (vs re-stamping the one you have) is that it might not fit the stock, or rather might take some fitting and the lock parts might not fit either.
                Craig L Barry
                Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I got the 1851 dated Whitney plate that Todd used on my Mississippi from James River Armory in the white. I also got the 1855 rifle rear sight we used on it from them as well. I ordered another Whitney lockplate from him a few months later for Nic Clark's Mississippi and Mark color case hardened it before he shipped it to me. The parts are not listed on the online store. I called Mark and made arrangements.
                  Matthew S. Laird
                  [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
                  [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                  Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
                  [/COLOR]
                  [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hallo!

Herr Craig's point should be well heeded.

Over the last five decades even the offerings of EuroArms and ArmiSport have changed within their own product line to the point that say a current generation EA mainspring may not fit an 1986 made EA Enfield.

"Getting" a new lockplate may just likely require the "internals" to go with the modern plate, and then possiblyu some inletting and fitting skills (or even cosmetic skills) to retrofit the modern lock to the older generation lock mortise.

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I tried both JRA and Mr. Watts. No joy

Zimmerman can do a Harper's Ferry remark that looks pretty good (font is a little large but is acceptable). That may be my best choice. I have a blank lockplate but it binds and the hammer falls off center. I'll have to send the plate that is currently on the gun to make it work correctly.

I think the Bernadelli's were the best quality of the M41 repros. Zoli had a bit of an edge on accuracy for live fire. I agree, the current crop of EOA repros fall short of the older guns.

Thanks all

Mark Hubbs
                      Mark Hubbs

Comment

Working...
                      X