Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: binocular strap?

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
    Or maybe Jackson was just a farb -- where do you get lemons in the Valley, anyway?

Seriously, nice find: is there a credit on the picture?
    Well, the book is at home and I am not. However, the photos in this series of books is nearly identical to the Echoes of Glory photos. Most of the same items and many very similar layouts/displays.
    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
      Well, the book is at home and I am not. However, the photos in this series of books is nearly identical to the Echoes of Glory photos. Most of the same items and many very similar layouts/displays.
      Bingo -- it's in the Stonewall Jackson "memorabilia" collection at the Museum of the Confederacy: http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer?p...kson_artifacts

I have the same photo in a generally negligible source called The Civil War Catalog; thanks for pointing it out.
      Attached Files
      Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

I finally remembered to come back and look at this. The photo I'm looking at is on page 14/15 of the book. There is no credit to a photographer but the artifacts are listed as belonging to VMI, Museum of the Confederacy and the Virginia Historical Society. It isn't the same image you posted, but those appear to be the same binoculars.
        Joe Smotherman

Comment

Because brining up older threads when we come across them and we have additional information advances our understanding of material culture:

I have come across several binocular examples over the years which were easily documented to the period (manufature, owner, purchase paperwork, etc.). A few examples of which I have examined had eyelets built in them from original manufacture. Only one of these had remnants of an original strap.

The one I examined (in a private collection) had remnants of an original strap which was very similar to Jackson's example.

Very respectfully,
          Matthew Semple

Comment

Wonderful -- thank you!
            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
            X