Confederate Troops in the District of East Florida: February 1864

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Troops in the District of East Florida: February 1864

I was bored the other week so for some odd reason I started researching the Confederate medical department at the Battle of Olustee.

I have been searching the Compiled Military Service Records at the National Archives, looking into the records of units present as well as from where their quartermaster and ordnance supplies were coming.

Am I walking over ground which has already been covered or is this new research?

I probably won't ever get that far south for an event, but if it is new ground, I am happy to continue and put it together for someone to use to improve their impression.
    Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
    Southern Division

Re: Confederate Troops in the District of East Florida: February 1864

absolutely. there are a couple of hard core florida guys like myslef that are always on the look out for more info. I am kicking around the idea of organizing a LH at Cold Harbor 2-3 years out portraying 2 Florida companies: 1 old line ANV 2 5 8 or Florida and one of the battalions recently arrived. I for sure would be interested in anything you dig up on the 1sr 2nd 4th or 6th Fl battalion and there actions and Qm returns from feb of '64. give us a pretty good idea of what they looked like when they got off the train in May of 64
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

"I wish you could have seen these flowers from the 'Land of Flowers.' They had just had a fight at Olustee that spring . . . They were all smoked out from the lightwood knotsand had not washed or worn it off yet, and being so far down south they had not received many clothes - only what their mothers or wives had spun or woven for them . . . little homespun jackets and the most of them with bed quilts instead of blankets."

Letter of David L. Geer, 5th Florida, describing the new Florida battalions at Cold Harbor, June 1864.
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob,
        I've seen that one before, and Seton Fleming gives an even better account I think. Don't have access to a copy at the moment. gives a pretty good indication of what WASN'T being worn in the ANV as well.
        Bryant Roberts
        Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
        palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

I would be very interested in your findings on this project, especially any information regarding the 1st GA Regulars, or the 23rd GA Infantry Regiment.

Roy Queen

Comment

Working...
          X