Richmond Jacket with cuff buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond Jacket with cuff buttons

I was watching pictures of some confederate dead soldiers at Petersburg when I discovered this one. This soldier seems to wear a Richmond Depot Jacket Type II (it has shoulder straps). The Richmond Depot Type II jacket is characterized by no buttons on the cuffs but this one has three buttons. It's this a variant made privately by the soldier? Or what else?

Matteo Fontana

Re: Richmond Jacket with cuff buttons

Nice spot.

That "Richmond Depot" jacket is such a common style of body pattern that the jacket in the photo could be anything. Just because a jacket has shoulder straps doesn't mean it HAS to be an RDII, there are several later war pattern jackets made of imported cloth that don't fit into a particular "RD" catergory...

If you do some more reading on the Depot system, etc. you'll find that alot of these jackets aren't hard and fast when it comes definate usage in a particular time period.

Read the Jensen article, Arliskas' book, and there has to be some info in the forum here somewhere...

What I see there, more interesting is the cloth shoulder sling with the figure8 stitching.
    Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
    – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Working...
    X