Mounted Greatcoat use by infantry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounted Greatcoat use by infantry?

Just curious (and after searching long and hard on the site) if anyone has any documentation that Mounted pattern Greatcoats were used by infantrymen? I would theorize that it did happen, just wondering if it happened enough for it to be used in an infantry impression or not. Trying to get ready for Rivers' Bridge, SC.

Jeff Black
    33rd Alabama
    Sgt. Major, Cotton States/Elk River Battalion
    Jeff Black
    33rd Alabama

Re: Mounted Greatcoat use by infantry?

The answer is yes but on a limited basis. I have a photo of an unidentified group of fed infantrymen wearing their overcoats and one fellow has a mounted pattern coat that he removed the cape from. Out of all of the guys in the photo, there is one guy with the double breasted coat.

Dave Myrick

Comment

Going to one of my favorite sources, attachment 13 to Meigs' "end of war" report in the ORs (Series III, Vol. 5, p. 285), it appears that the U.S. government procured 2.8 million "foot" greatcoats during the war, and 1 million "horse." Since there were probably a lot more than 2.8 infantrymen and heavy artillerymen to every cavalryman, mounted artilleryman, and infantry officer, it seems reasonable to assume that some number of "horse" greatcoats found their way into the hands of the infantry, even though they cost (depending on the year) one to two dollars more apiece.
      Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

I know that officers were authorized to wear them
        Frank Perkin

Comment

I began many moons ago in Mounted Artillery and of course had the mounted greatcoat. I have also done line infantry and Berdan sharpshooter and wore the same mounted overcoat. The reason cost and without any reasearch just assumed a few would have filtered to the infantry.
          Marc Riddell
          1st Minnesota Co D
          2nd USSS Company C
          Potomac Legion

Comment

Well, I will be portraying a Sergeant Major for the event, and I imagine a good foraging/scrounging man could easily have gotten to the QM first and procured one. But I would really prefer some documentation. Guess it is time to look up the LOC photos. Only place I find that has a pattern is Homespun Patterns (Which I have used in the past and seem to be ok with some adjustments) Wish Childs would put together a mounted pattern. Maybe I can talk to Scott Lyndon.
            Jeff Black
            33rd Alabama

Comment

Sorry,

But I have seen no documentation for the use of Mounted Service Coats, used by infantry...either in account books or images.

If you are looking to justify your impression...you need to document it heavily yourself.
              Scott Cross
              "Old and in the Way"

Comment

"Maybe I can talk to Scott Lyndon."

Is he back around?
                Last edited by coastaltrash; 09-29-2009, 11:07 PM.
                Patrick Landrum
                Independent Rifles

Comment

Are you doing federal or CSA? Because lets be honest, greatcoats were tossed and picked up all through the war. I think a hard up CSA soldier who downs a fed cavalryman or when Moseby rides into your camp with a wagon load full of captured coats, you're not going to be picky of the pattern. LOL!

Chris Fischer
                  F-Troop

Comment

Out of curiousity, I have to ask why you would want a mounted great coat over an infantry great coat...? Obviously, the preponderance of Federal great coats used by CS infantry would have been infantry coats. Even taking into consideration the number of times Federal cavalry clashed with Confederate infantry, in weather cold enough to require a great coat, and looking at the number of casualties on the Federal side...well, the chance of an infantryman acquiring a mounted coat would have been small. More to the point, what unit will you be portraying? Are there any records of combat contact with Federal cavalry resulting in Federal casualties? It's hard to justify usage by saying " I could have picked it up by the side of the road"; unless you were the very first infantryman to march by and stumble upon it (and odds are that you wouldn't be) it isn't a likely scenario. Also, cavalry had a horse to lug their coats, not on their backs like infantry, so there was probably very little discarding of them (on the part of cavalry). Of course, there's always the chance that you just happen to like the cut of the mounted coat better, with it's double breast and longer cape, and that is not a very valid reason to attempt authentification and justification of usage. Personally, I think in the long run you'll be happier with the use of the infantry coat.....Thanks.
                    Last edited by Secesh; 09-30-2009, 06:30 PM.
                    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Will be using for Federal use only. I already have a Reb Greatcoat. But thanks for the Advice.
                      Jeff Black
                      33rd Alabama

Comment

Hallo!

Moderator hat on...

Please keep this to AC Forum standards of research and documentation, and not substituting modern reenacting preferences or habits.

Thanks.

Curt
                        Curt Schmidt
                        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                        -Vastly Ignorant
                        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Mods,
                          You may remove this thread if you deem necessary. Sorry to have been a problem....
                          Jeff Black
                          33rd Alabama

Comment

I think it was a good question. It made me look up the relative number of foot & mounted greatcoats procured. Another interesting stat, from p. 278 of the same volume cited earlier, gives the number of items on hand in the depots as of June 30, 1865 -- 651,564 foot greatcoats, and 278,161 mounted. This means the total issued to the troops would have come to about 2.15 million foot, and about 720,000 horse -- roughly three to one. Given that about 80% of union regiments were infantry (and some of the 20% remaining were heavy artillery -- see http://www.civilwarhome.com/armyorganization.htm) the ratio doesn't quite jibe, even accounting for officers. Unless horsemen wore out or lost their greatcoats at a higher rate than footmen (and I think that the anecdotal information trends in the other direction), some mounted service greatcoats must have found their way into the infantry. Not many, but some.

Or maybe I got something wrong there -- contrary opinions are always welcome.
                            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

It was a good question and made for good discussion.
                              Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                              Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                              Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                              Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                              KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Working...
                              X