Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1862 NY Stamped Springfield?

Dear Everyone,

I will apologize in advance, but does anyone have any information on why a seemingly "1861" model Springfield would be stamped 1862? I've tried and tried to find any and all info on this but apparently my ability to use search functions is slim to none. If anyone has any ideas why this might be or can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it immensely.

Most ignorantly and sincerely,
    Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
    Wolftever Mess
    SCAR-Southeastern Coalition of Authentic Reenactors

Cry "Havoc" and let slip the dogs of war.

Re: 1862 NY Stamped Springfield?

In most cases, the year stamped on a musket indicates the year it was produced, not necessarily the model of the musket. The Model 1861 was produced for several years, even after the Model 1863 was implemented.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

From my understanding, the M1861 Springfield is the "model" and not the date of its manufacture. For example I have a original M1816 Springfield, but is dated 1837. I also have a M1816 Springfield with Maynard tape prime, it is dated 1858 when it was converted. If you look through Federal EOG, you can find many photos of M1861 and M1863 Springfields that are dated later than their model number. Thanks

Andrew
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I will try to get a picture of the lock up later today. that might help. I know about the marking of year produced not model, but this one is curious. It is stamped New York, not Springfield. Would this be because of the arsenal it came from, or maybe another manufacturer who had a contract to produce 61 springfields? Pics to follow this afternoon.

Regards,
        Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
        Wolftever Mess

Comment

Hallo!

It falls under the M1861 contract made arms.

John Sarson and William Roberts of Sarson & Roberts received a contract on December 26, 1861 for 25,000 M1861's at $20 each.

S & R were unexplainedly unable to deliver after the first 5,140, and their operation/parts went to Alfred Jenks & Son of Philadelphia.

The stamping on the lock plate reads in three liines US/New York/1862 (NUG).

In brief and to over-generalize... the Model 1861 is the "pattern" or "model" with the lockplate carrying the date of manufacture followed by the barrel date of maufacture. The lock plate and the barrel dates usually match except for end of year overlaps sometimes where the say 1861 barrels were used with 1862 dated lockplates in January, or barrels that were later replaced.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks Curt,

I got the rifle as a gift from someone who doesn't know much about arms. It is a repro, but had marks I didn't recognize. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this for me. It helps with knowing where my rifle "came from".

Sincerely,
            Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
            Wolftever Mess

Comment

Didn't know anyone was replicating Jenks "New York" contract markings. But then, what do I know?
              David Fox

Comment

David,

Neither did I, which was why I was surprised. It is a defarb of a rifle bought in Gettysburg about 2 years ago. Presumably Regimental Quartermaster did it, but maybe they sent it to Harpers Ferry? I don't know. Anyone know who might have restamped the lock plate like this?
                Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
                Wolftever Mess

Comment

James River Armory was doing vaious re-strikes....(.I had a Trenton) and for a short period of time did some with original lockplates.This included a defarb job job that removed a great deal of excess repro wood.George Lomas was selling them.I don't know if they are still available.
                  Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

I just checked out James River Armory. You can order a musket from them and have just about any lock plate you can think of stamped on your 61 model springfield. Great finding this out. Thank you to all who have helped contribute. I think I know where my gun came from now.
                    Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
                    Wolftever Mess

Comment

Yes sir, that would be an official Mark Hartman JRA "contractor series." And he did take about a pound of wood off the stock blanks when he shaped them. He wasn't the sine quo non to the repro 1861 that Todd Watts currently is to the repro Enfield P53, but Mark did a very good contractor variation US rifle musket. The contract versions outnumbered Springfield Armory produced (and marked) US 1861s by about 2:1. If your repro is marked "US" over "New York" and 1862 all in three lines forward of the hammer, that is copied from the Sarson and Roberts contract which was entered in late Dec 1861 for 25,000 rifle-muskets, of which 5,140 were finally delivered. Visit the one library in Southern Mississippi for Claud E Fuller "The Rifled Musket" and check for more details if you are interested. It is probably not in the main section with the coloring books and crayons either. If Mark Hartman made this 1861--and I don't know who else would have--then it is most likely made up from Euroarms parts. And if that's what you got, that's a good thing.

Just as a sidebar or point of interest, it would be extremely rare to find an actual US 1861 rifle musket that was marked "1861" on the lock plate and barrel because only about 25,000 were produced during 1861. They were still less commonly found than smoothbores and imports until later in 1862 and beyond.
                      Last edited by Craig L Barry; 09-30-2009, 09:01 PM.
                      Craig L Barry
                      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
                      X