Lockplate restrike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockplate restrike

I've a replica French M.1763 pumpkin slinger, a prop from "Last of the Mohicans" which was filmed hereabouts. I've had it converted cone-in-barrel to percussion. Who might restrike the markings to conform to an M.1795 Springfield or Harper's Ferry? I understand doing such to a hardened lockplate is an especial chore and, of course, the craftsman has to have proper dies. Any help would be appreciated.
    David Fox

Re: Lockplate restrike

Actually, John G. Zimmerman is about your best bet for something like that...especially if you want HARPERS/FERRY. He has some early US model stamps, etc. You need to give him a telephone call and see if he can do what you need, he is not an e-mail sort.
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 10-17-2009, 11:21 PM.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Hey, David! Got some pics of that musket? Would be cool to see!

Thanks!
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Be delighted to post pictures, if I knew how. Otherwise, send me your e-mail address and I send them to you.
        David Fox

Comment

Hallo!

If you want, e-mail the pictures to me and I will post them here for you?

Curt
          Who likes piggers Mess
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt; I'm just blind dumb enough not to be able to sort-out your e-mail address so I can send you that photo...I'm sure there are a half dozen other ways, but I know none of them. If you'll PM me w/ that address, I'll post the photo. The percussioning job, cone-in-barrel w/ an original hammer, is a thing of beauty. I had it done about twelve years ago for a six or eight part series on "pumpkin slingers" I scribbled for "Camp Chase Gazette"
            David Fox

Comment

Hallo!

Wetzel1781@Verizon.net

Curt
              Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

So Zimmerman does lock markings? I would like a Savage marking or something of the like. Whats his contact info?
                Wade
                Wade Rogers

Comment

Hallo!

Herr David's alteration:

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Re: Lockplate restrike:SUGGESTION

Nice! What an idiot I am, I just thought of the way to do this without risking a crack or other damage to the lockplate at all. Buff off Charleville and have an engraver re-letter it however you like. To duplicate engraved Tower lockplates, I have used a trophy shop in town. However, jewelers and even kiosks at the mall do engraving. Of course, if you want the Federal eagle, that's another matter again...back to the hydraulic press.
                    Craig L Barry
                    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Hallo!

And IIRC...

On Harpers Ferry made M1795's, there were three (four?) styles of eagles used over time (as well as HF stampings).

;) :)

I have used Everett Smith of Smitty's Engraving in Arkansas for my engraving work such as the hand-engraved lockplates on 18th and 19th century guns.

Curt
                      Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

David, you have a brass pan insert. While the standard M1795 musket made at both National Armories and the vast majority of the contractors had iron pans, Eli Whitney used a brass pan on a few of his 1798 Contract muskets and you could engrave the lock to appear to be a Whitney contract musket. In order to make any other M1795 musket you will need to use an iron pan, struck flat to the plate.
                        Thomas Pare Hern
                        Co. A, 4th Virginia
                        Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Good point, re; pan insert. This is an M.1816 pan-blank the gunsmith had lying about. In the good old days, that's how I acquired an 1862 Richmond lockplate ($15) and Richmond brass buttplate ($8). I'm doing my best to contact Zimmerman, but he's on his phone more than is my granddaughter. Curt; thanks for posting the photo. Is there any tutorial available so I can muddle my way into being able to do this photo-posting, too? Have any of you younger guys thought what a miracle this communication tool actually is?
                          David Fox

Comment

The "good old days". :wink_smil The new folks would be amazed at the prices that people like you, me and Kurt were were paying for this stuff back in the '60s and '70s. *sigh*
                            Thomas Pare Hern
                            Co. A, 4th Virginia
                            Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Update. Had a nice chat w/ Mr. John Zimmerman, whom I'd last met at his shop this past Spring. I'm sending this replica French musket to him this week for a fully monte reincarnation into a Harpers Ferry M.1795. The ballpark price quoted and turnaround time estimated were most reasonable. I'll report the results here, w/ pictures (if I can sort-out the technology). His website doesn't include work on M.1763 Charlevilles, but he appears eager and equipped to undertake dealing w/ them and talked knowledgeably about what needed tweaking... perhaps useful information for those contemplating 1861 and '62 Rebel 150th anniversary impressions. It 'pears to me the authentic Southron reenactor community does not presently groan under the combined weight of M.1795/ Virginia Manufactory pumpkin slingers.
                              Last edited by David Fox; 10-19-2009, 06:03 PM.
                              David Fox

Comment

Working...
                              X