Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo: Confederate Prisoners in Chicago

OK:

I'm trying this for the first time...loadin a scanned picture.

This photo came from a 1991 Military Images Magazine, can't remember what issue.

Titled; "Just from Dixie, 1864". Publishers think it is a photo of Western Confederates (AOT) taken in the streets of Chicago. According to Les Jensen, there are Columbus Depot, and North Carolina Jackets seen. Note the different shirts, and Slouch Hats. Knapsacks & Civilian Sack Coat in the ranks?
    Currious about what looks like a striped Blanket slung on the far right Soldier's shoulder...

I didn't know if this photo was ever posted!I hope it works, and can be " Save Picture as" on your PC's
    Respectfully:

Kevin Dally
    Attached Files
    Kevin Dally

Re: Photo: Confederate Prisoners in Chicago

Interesting photo...note the man directly to the officer's left...looks like a "Star" on his hat...we may be looking at some Texans here! Great pic!

Thanks!

Comment

Fantastic image!

What first strikes me is the clean shaven guys. Lots of them. I've noticed that in particularly in many prisoner shots. Also, no "rakish angled hats". Just well clothed(no rags, starved looking men, or barefeet) men and comfortable military attire. No "ragged rebels" here.

Mark Berrier
      North State Rifles
      combinations@northstate.net

Where are all the grey bearded fat dudes we all see at reenactments?
      Mark Berrier

Comment

Do you have any idea when in 64 this was taken?
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I used to have that pic up on my old SIR website, it is a very cool image, also the Fed guards in the image are from the 105th Ohio, if memory serves correctly. I have the pic blown up to poster size and you can really see some awesome details in there. You can definately make out a few Columbus Depots with some other patterns that are unknown to us now. This is a good up close look at a bunch of AOT boys in 64.

Lee
          Lee White
          Researcher and Historian
          "Delenda Est Carthago"
          "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good observations!

I agree about the Star on the hat, the guy kneeling in front of him has the CD Jacket. (Magazine photo made both facts more clear!) Note also the pleated shirt on the feller standing 3rd from the right, with his hands in his pockets!
            A lot of dark trousers in the group, contrasting with their Jackets. Everyone is well shod, shoes seem to be the norm. Hat brims look like they fanned a lot of campfires.
            They fit the descriptions of AOT Soldiers, I see no Richmond Depot type clothing in their ranks.
            They look in good health to me, any other observations.... I want to know!

Respectfully:

Kevin Dally
            Kevin Dally

Comment

Originally posted by LWhite64
              I used to have that pic up on my old SIR website, it is a very cool image, also the Fed guards in the image are from the 105th Ohio, if memory serves correctly. I have the pic blown up to poster size and you can really see some awesome details in there. You can definately make out a few Columbus Depots with some other patterns that are unknown to us now. This is a good up close look at a bunch of AOT boys in 64.

Lee

Lee

Do you know anything about NC sending uniform pieces to the AoT?
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Lee:

You are correct, this image was a carte de visite that came from the album of a 105th Ohio boy, who had been a guard at Camp Douglas P.O.W. Camp in Chicago. No hard date is given, so pinning down the time period may be impossible.

"You can definately make out a few Columbus Depots with some other patterns that are unknown to us now."

To your trained eyes, what Jacket details are you seeing you can share with us?

Kevin Dally
                Kevin Dally

Comment

The guy 8th from the left looks like he's wearing overalls....I'm guessing canvas or duck or something......Ideas?????

Cheers,
                  Adam Cripps
                  [COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=4][FONT=Book Antiqua]Adam Cripps[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Looks like saggy pants to me. Maybe he was one of the original members of Kidnplay. :wink_smil
                    Robert Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Cracker Line
                      The guy 8th from the left looks like he's wearing overalls....I'm guessing canvas or duck or something......Ideas?????

Cheers,
                      Adam Cripps
                      You are looking at a large tie/cravat.

Just some thoughts...
                      Note the bags hanging LOWER on the hip, kind of contradicts the "wear your traps high".

Also, the officer appears to be a 2d Lt. He is wearing a shoulder strap, something I have seen a lot in studio photos, yet not a lot in photos taken in field.

NICE PHOTO
                      [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
                      [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
                      [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
                      [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

All shirts that are visible are solids - no patterns. I believe that was mentioned on this forum a while back; that we might be overdoing the patterns in our civilian shirts.
                        Michael Comer
                        one of the moderator guys

Comment

The 2nd fellow to the left of the officer sitting down,I believe has his pants rolled up.
                          Regards,Rick Harris
                          The resolution of this photo may prevent us from seeing small patterns on the shirts.
                          Rick Harris

Comment

Something new for a change! Great photo with some good details. This I think is a good sampling of AoT clothing (obviously) and it is easy to pick out the differences. Known issue jackets, homemade items and lots of them, vests, shirts, coats, probably some of the trousers. One has a military style trimmed sack, another a frock with collar trim. Though not every unit may have been this varied this is perhaps a good judge of issue vs. homemade type items. At least four detectable civilian sack coats, one trimmed sack and one trimmed frock. Six with non- issue (known issue really) garments out of about 15 with visible clothing. Not definitive, but interesting.

Comment

I too have this magazine and in the article, Mr. Jensen did research on the photo and concluded they may have been Tar Heel's and Texans. He claims NC because the pattern on some of the coats.

I wanted to post this a long time ago but I don't have a scanner. I can get the info in the article sometime soon to share if someone doesn't have it already handy.

Jim Ross
                              James Ross

Comment

Working...
                              X