Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo: Confederate Prisoners in Chicago

Jim,

I would appreciate a copy of the article if possible from somebody as I don't have it now. Or, maybe we could get it posted in the research section for everybody. Is that possible?

What does Jensen say specifically for the caption of this image?

Mark Berrier
    North State Rifles
    combinations@northstate.net

P.O. Box 1857
    Thomasville, NC 27360

Thanks,

Mark Berrier
    Mark Berrier

Comment

Originally posted by markmason

Also, the officer appears to be a 2d Lt. He is wearing a shoulder strap, something I have seen a lot in studio photos, yet not a lot in photos taken in field.

NICE PHOTO
      He is a Federal posing with the prisoners.

As far as them being Carolinians. They may be from Reynolds brigade, however.

This is a quote from an email discussion Jim Mayo and I have been having about common findings in the Atlanta campaign sites. These are not Jims words, rather a quote in response to one of his queries.

"In the 25 years I've been hunting around Cobb county and near-by areas, I have found this button to be an average find. Upon further research, it seems that the governor of North Carolina sent 10,000 NC depot uniforms to the Army of Tennessee, camped at Dalton, Ga.,prior to the campaign. This button turns up at many places not associated with NC troops. There was only two NC regiments attached to the Army. Under these circumstances, you could consider this button as a CS general issue button."

At this point this is campfire discussion and should be taken with a grain of salt. However it is something to look into.
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Greetings,

>You are correct, this image was a carte de visite that came from the album >of a 105th Ohio boy, who had been a guard at Camp Douglas P.O.W. Camp >in Chicago. No hard date is given, so pinning down the time period may be >impossible.

Actually, pinning down a date for this photo might not be completely impossible. Assuming we know the 105th OVI man's name we could check his military service file, pension file, as well as 105th OVI regimental and company books to see when he was assigned as a guard to Camp Douglas. The resulting info might at least provide a reasonable "window" for when the photo was made. There may also be reports in the Chicago "Tribune," the "Times," etc. mentioning this event. The general appearance of the photo (temperate weather) indicates it was made in spring, summer, or early fall of the year.

Here's another Camp Douglas photo that might be of interest:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

The faces of the 3 seated in the middle and the one on our right (with scarf) all appear to have young looking faces versus the rest of the bunch. Could these have been replacements who joined them prior to capture?

3 of the seated guys appear to have their trousers legs rolled a little. And are they sitting on backpacks?

There are also 3 visible pipes and is the officer smoking a cigar?
          Greg Bullock
          [URL="http://www.pridgeonslegion.com/group/9thvacoe"]Bell's Rifles Mess[/URL]
          Member, [URL="http://www.civilwar.org/"]Civil War Preservation Trust[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.shenandoahatwar.org/index.php"]Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Pritchett Ball
            OK:

I'm trying this for the first time...loadin a scanned picture.

This photo came from a 1991 Military Images Magazine, can't remember what issue.

Titled; "Just from Dixie, 1864". Publishers think it is a photo of Western Confederates (AOT) taken in the streets of Chicago. According to Les Jensen, there are Columbus Depot, and North Carolina Jackets seen. Note the different shirts, and Slouch Hats. Knapsacks & Civilian Sack Coat in the ranks?
            Currious about what looks like a striped Blanket slung on the far right Soldier's shoulder...

I didn't know if this photo was ever posted!I hope it works, and can be " Save Picture as" on your PC's
            Respectfully:

Kevin Dally
            I've always loved this photo. This is a great study! The fella 3rd from right is wearing a shirt that buttons all the way down, or at least to the waistline! The 2 fello's sitting dead center (guy to the left of the dude sitting on his knapsack w/kepi, and the other next to him sitting) I think are brothers. They look very similar. Look at their chins, noses and mouths, and eye socket shapes, and their overall facial outline. Uncanny resemblence.

Look at the guy dead center standing w/ the pipe. Is that just a cravat or is it a cummerbund? Next is the interestingly different vest on the guy to the right of him, and then the civilian coats. (3rd, 5th, 6th? from right)
            An ocasional frock (far right?) The hats interest me the most (and that shirt that buttons all the way!). This is a definite study. The way hats are worn in the hobby don't come close. The way brims are shaped in this photo should be studied and copied more.

Regards,
            Rob McFarland
            Last edited by 2MDF&D; 02-17-2004, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Mark,

Any way of getting a close-up of that Camp Douglas photo? Looks like some good detail is awaiting to be discovered...!

Jim Ross
              James Ross

Comment

The guy third from the right seems to have the poor boy type suspenders and from what I can tell they are bottoned on the inside of the pants.Is this correct for the time as Ive not noticed it before?

Comment

I cant seem to be able to see the picture on my computor, could please some one post it to me or maybe give me a link to a page it is posted on??
                  I must see this one
                  Thank you kindly

Nicholas Nordström-O`Grady

Comment

What's also interesting is there's a guy on the right side (missing from the posted image) that has a blanket over his shoulder. I asked Pat Kline to reproduce this blanket for me and he now offers it for sale. It has several stripes throughout much like the one the Washington Artillery is standing/sitting on in EoG "flags" section (forgot page #).

If only I had access to a scanner you'd see what I'm talking about. His hat is floppy too, but not "hillbilly" floppy. It has a nice curl to the brim and his jacket and trousers appear to be matching.

Jim Ross
                    James Ross

Comment

Originally posted by Tarheel87
                      I cant seem to be able to see the picture on my computor, could please some one post it to me or maybe give me a link to a page it is posted on??
                      I must see this one
                      Thank you kindly

Nicholas Nordström-O`Grady
                      Nicholas:

I can place it as an attachment on an email to you...Email me at Kdallyrm@aol.com
                      Am willing to try that, if you would like. May take a while to down-load, ZIP is zapped on my pewter, so I do things the slow way!

Kevin Dally
                      Kevin Dally

Comment

:) Hi Kevin!
                        Thanks so much for sending it, I sent you a email

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Moonshine
                          What's also interesting is there's a guy on the right side (missing from the posted image) that has a blanket over his shoulder. I asked Pat Kline to reproduce this blanket for me and he now offers it for sale. It has several stripes throughout much like the one the Washington Artillery is standing/sitting on in EoG "flags" section (forgot page #).

If only I had access to a scanner you'd see what I'm talking about. His hat is floppy too, but not "hillbilly" floppy. It has a nice curl to the brim and his jacket and trousers appear to be matching.

Jim Ross
                          Jim:

See that about the hat also...feller in my LH Unit has a hat that he has used many times to fan flames of a fire. Where his hand holds the hat brim, makes it curled on the edge, just like the one he's wearing. Hat looks to be like a Beehive Farmer?
                          Hey,feller standing on far left, Hat looks like it may have been shaped like a Rev War Tricorne. Seen a hat shaped like that on a photo of a Living Historian on the WIG website picture page, anyone care to comment?

Kevin Dally
                          Kevin Dally

Comment

:) Thanks Kevin :)
                            This one is great, Please keep this great discussion going :)

Sir: You need to give your FULL NAME with EVERY post. Recommend you use the signature function in you profile. John Wickett - Forum NCO
                            Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 02-18-2004, 11:49 AM. Reason: No Signature.

Comment

Mr. Dally,

Yes, my hat curls like that too. Nice to know that some things you do are right! Interesting point on the way the hats are shaped and worn. Not like most I've seen, yet the hats still hold their shape to some degree.

I left the house without that @#$% article from that picture. I'll remember it!
                              I have email and internet at work here only... have to wait till tomorrow.

What's creepy is some of those guys look like people I know or have run into. Makes you wonder why we do this for a "hobby"??? :thinking:

Jim Ross
                              James Ross

Comment

Any correctly made hat by those such as Tim Allen will look as these do. Only when you stear away from the likes of Tim Allen, Tim Bender, &c., will you end up with a hilly-billy flop. I've had one from Tim for 8 years, and though somewhat beat up, the brim remains turned up, and even when thoroughly soaked turns back the rain. The down fall? buckets of water on your shoulders.

Invest in a good hat
                                [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
                                [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
                                [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
                                [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                X