Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about Columbus Depot jackets

Shawn,

The color and weave varied as time went on. Each batch or run of cloth was unique to itself. There are surviving examples of CD Jackets in a few Museums and private collections which represent a measure of the color which could be observed for reference. Keep in mind that time and oxidation will have impacted the color of the cloth. However, the general appearance should be reference enough.

I would suggest you get a copy of Confederate Gray and Butternut Brown by Tom Arliskas and see this link written by Les Jensen for the CMH:
    http://www.military-historians.org/c...federate-3.htm

Don't get caught up in trying to find the perfect match. You will learn that variation is the true nature of Confederate cloth. Your appearance will reflect your research and dedication. Remember, passion is the difference between a good impression and putting on a great impression!

Cheers.

Michael Collins
    Michael S. Collins

15th Tenn. Vol. Inf. Co "G"
    Robert L. Miller Award Recipient No.26 May, 2003

"Trust in God and Fear Nothing."
    - Brig. General Lewis Addison Armistead

Comment

Originally posted by briangauthier View Post
      A few posts ago. . .

Matt,
      cool picture! Is that blue swatch the original dye color of the wool? Just curious, as from what else I've read on this post, most are saying it would look something like that.
      I would presume as much. Michael pretty much covered it in regard to oxidation and fade, plus there were scores of diffrent dye lots.

Here is a nice overall pic of the jacket.
      Attached Files
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

One of the better solutions would be buying (or making) a jacket from Ben Tart's naturally dyed jeans, then wearing it and letting it fade... Confederate dyes were not colorfast, so there's a wide variation in cloth color. My jackets even vary a bit within the jacket, the back and front faded to a very pale color, with the inner lapels and even a little under the armpits closer to the original "gray" due to less exposure to sunlight...
        Tom Ezell

Comment

I'll propose this personal experience. My Columbus Depot jacket is made of a grey vegitable dyed cassimere based on the Jenkins jacket (if memory serves me right I think it was the Jenkins). I also have a Kepi made of the same fabric. Over the past several years, the fabric has turned from a light grey to a slightly tannish grey. This is a combination of the sun and assorted dirt, sweat, etc. The kepi which is worn less though has retained more of the grey hue. Now extrapolate the fact I only wear the jacket a few weekends each year vs. a soldier in the AoT who wore it day in and day out, it is easy to see how the colors would vary greatly dependent upon the age of the article. There are also numerous surviving examples of CD jackets made of more common jean cloth as well, I liked the cassimere because I felt it was a bit under represented.
          Robert Collett
          8th FL / 13th IN
          Armory Guards
          WIG

Comment

Robert-

I have the Jenkins jacket and I feel you are right on. The Columbus depot sure made a lot of cassimere and I think there should be more guys using cassimere for their jackets. The Jenkins has a dark brown warp which is really hard to get. Childs had been making some, but not as dark as the original.

Joe Walker

Comment

I would like to thank Matt Caldwell for posting the remarkably detailed pictures of the CD jacket held by the Mississippi State museum at Jackson - commonly known as the "McDonnell" jacket (see further details on earlier link to Geoff Walden's article). Try zooming in on the picture - it's remarkable. You can clearly see the line of blue machine-stitching the jacket is well known for. Matt - any more pictures!?

Best regards
              Last edited by PaulJ; 01-04-2010, 07:08 PM. Reason: Typo
              Paul Jonsson (England, UK)

Comment

Just saw this request. Paul, email me at civilwarhistorian (at) gmail.com and I will send you more images.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

As far as the trim goes on the CD jackets, I recently gathered blue trim swatches from Chas. Childs, Wambaugh and White, and the Richmond Depot. I placed each swatch next an original CD Jacket (the Jenkin’s jacket) and we observed that Child’s #K2CS material that is said to be used for his CD jacket trim was quite a bit lighter and heavier than the original. The trim swatch I received from the Richmond Depot was slightly lighter than the original jacket. Nevertheless, the trim that Wambaugh and White sent me proved to match the original jackets trim color perfectly.

I am not trying to promote one vendor over another, just wanted to share my observations on CD trim color.

Weldon Svoboda

Comment

In common with the body material, there is some variation in color and weave on the trim material among the surviving jackets. All are similar, but on some the weave is looser or the kersey pattern less pronounced, and some are noticeably darker than what seems to have been the "norm."

Geoff Walden

Comment

As some have stated before, even if the fabric came off the same run and bulk roll. It could have different color indigo. This stuff was being produced in a rather large number of things. So this means that in sometimes they wouldn't have taken the time to make a new batch of dye for every run of fabric. There could have been hundreds of indigo shades used on things. I am almost willing to bet that some jackets had two different colors on the cuffs and collar. It's a simple process of elimination to gather that they used up what they had on hand.
                      Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

Geoff,
                        Thanks for clarifying that. That helps a lot. Dan Mercer told me he thought they were all the same, as in identical. Of course that was the summer he lived and worked at Chickamauga... I've only had the chance to observe one up close.
                        Pat Brown

Comment

Working...
                        X