A Mississippi Rifle by Todd Watts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Mississippi Rifle by Todd Watts

Just thought I'd share these pics. This is a plate that was remarked by John Zimmerman. I think he charges about $40 to take off the old marks, add these and then re-case harden. Not a bad price at all. However, I think he uses stamps that he had made for M1855 locks and the font is a bit too big for a Model 1841. Also the eagle to too big and is too far forward. If you do a M1841 plate correctly you must add the main spring screw (or fake screw). A mainspring screw would protrude right through Mr. Zimmerman's eagle. Still, not a bad looking plate.

Look at the TYRON plate here. You can see the mainspring screw's location. By the way, I asked my wife to get this crisp original Tyron for me, but she revealed that the elves no longer make this variant.:cry_smile

Mark Hubbs

Plate1

plate2

plate3

Photobucket
    Mark Hubbs
    My book, The Secret of Wattensaw Bayou, is availible at Amazon.com and other on-line book sellers

Visit my history and archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Comment

David, Firearms and CW author Joe Bilby used to have a NJ marked 41 in his collection.It was a .54 with the traditional "v" sight.
      Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Comrade Scully: thanks. This little honey will come back from Hoyt calibre .54, round ball rifled. I've got a Peace flask/ball bag that'll do.
        David Fox

Comment

Mr. Fox,

That sounds like a good choice to me. I have often wondered why so few use the Peace flask/Ball bag of the rifleman's accoutrements. They were used for the 1803, the 1817 and 1819 common rifles and the Hall's rifles as well as being issued with the Mississippi Rifles initially. In the arsenals, there would have been quite a few of those sets but I cannot recall ever seeing anyone sporting one of them. I know of quality makers that will make them and they actually are not that difficult to make. In reality, the toughest part of the manufacture will be getting the white buff leather.
          Matthew S. Laird
          [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
          [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
          Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
          [/COLOR]
          [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Ball bag, Peace flask, an M.1841, and a pocketful of goober peas: one-each Rebel ready for the 2011 events!
            David Fox

Comment

I regret that the attached image is somewhat fuzzy, but it shows a few of the M1841 Rifles in collection storage at the Springfield Armory museum. I took this picture a few years ago when leading a tour there. Note the two with the Colt Revolving Rifle rear sights.

Dave
              Attached Files
              David Stieghan
              aka, DBAR1918

US Army Infantry Branch Historian,
              Fort Benning, Georgia

Former Regular Army Field Artillery Caption, Disabled
              Costumed Interpreter since 1973

Comment

To all those who've posted on this thread:

If you've never been to Springfield Armory, you are really missing out on something special. Carve some time out in your vacation schdule and go!!!
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

What sling would be correct for the MS rifles? Something else to ponder, would there be a "more correct" cartridge box / accoutrement set-up for a MS rifleman of the CW time? I am thinking that perhaps the same arsenals that stored the old MS rifles until re-issue in 1861+ may have held old accoutrements. Thoughts? Chastizements, rebukings or exhortations?

Comment

Howdy Fellas,

Need a little advice here. I FINALLY (after three years) scored the Garrett M1841 rifle of my dreams and it arrived yesterday. Beautiful piece (especially for its age) but as you can see the front sight (I think) is a so-called "skirmisher model" from one of our N-SSA brethren, and not at all authentic.

So if I am correct and this front sight is not right what should I do to correct it? File it down to a smaller leaf sight? If so, does anyone know the correct height of the leaf? Since when I received the rifle the front sight was painted neon pink I won't be surprised if there's nothing correct about it, but certainly this is an issue that I want to deal with as soon as possible.

Also, enjoy the picture of the rifle reunited with its Garrett brothers!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Dan Wambaugh; 03-04-2010, 09:45 AM.
                    Dan Wambaugh
                    Wambaugh, White, & Company
                    www.wwandcompany.com
                    517-303-3609
                    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Dan,

File it down and re-brown it.

The sight base is fine, just the blade needs to be thinned and taken down a bit.
                      Mark Latham

"Mon centre cède, impossible de me mouvoir, situation excellente, j'attaque." ~Ferdinand Foch

Comment

Dan,

Your M-1841 Rifle is what is called the "D" type variant. The front sight is correct for this variant.
                        If you file it down it will no longer be sighted in for 50 and 100 yards
                        Blair

Comment

Hallo!

Also, for some of the HF arsenal type alterations, when they added the M1855 early long range rear sight or the later short range rear sight,
                          the 5/16th inch long simple brass blade front sight was replaced with a M1855 Rifle Musket front sight.
                          (Some of the early alterations with the Mississippi sword bayonet lug with the guide rail left the M1841 brass sight intact.)

Curt
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Blair. I will leave it be (though I still stand behind removing the neon pink paint...)
                            Dan Wambaugh
                            Wambaugh, White, & Company
                            www.wwandcompany.com
                            517-303-3609
                            Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Dan,
                              glad to see you have your Garrett M1841! Can you or anybody else give me some more background on my "$200 score from a local pawn shop" Garrett M1841. The rear sight was super glued when I got it. The front sight just looks down right to big.
                              Attached Files
                              [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                              Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                              [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                              Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                              Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                              The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Dan,

Finger nail polish remover or acetone should take care of the pink paint.
                                The "D" variant '41 has these features,
                                D variant type I, reas sight is brazed to the barrel 2.50 inches from the breech of the barrel
                                D variant type II, rear sight is half/dovetailed to the barrel 2.875 inches from the breech of the barrel
                                Short double strap front band
                                1855 Rifle front sight
                                1855 Rifle bayonet lug
                                All steel ramrod

Michael,

You should replace the 1861 type rear sight you now have with the 1858 type. Which is correct rear sight for the '41 alteration.
                                The front sight (from what I can see in the photo) looks to be one used for the Rifle Musket bayonet lug front sight. It does appear a little oversized and a bit too close to the muzzle.
                                This type front sight was used on the "Drake" variant type '41's. The barrel on these were turned down to accommodate the '55 Rifle Musket socket bayonet. There is also a "Drake" variant that is addapted for the '42 bayonet with the bayonet locking lug on the bottom of the barrel. The front sight is very different, it is placed on the front strap of the front band like on '42's. Very rear variant!
                                If you keep the "long" double strape front band, you should go back to using the brass blade front sight.
                                I hope you find this helpful,

Comment

Working...
                                X