A Mississippi Rifle by Todd Watts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Mississippi Rifle by Todd Watts

Jim, here is a link to a converted Eli Whitney. I think this is the type II conversion.

The website states it is in .58 caliber. Is this accurate or are they wrong?
    Jason David

Peter Pelican
    36th Illinois Co. "B"
    Prodigal Sons Mess
    Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Jason,
      The Whitney manufactured long range guns are as follows and it does follow the HF Type ll alteration. Dated 1855 on lock and barrel, short front band, brass blade front sight, bayonet lug with guide and HF Type to rear sight, and they where in 54 cal. 7 lands and groves. With out actually handling the rifle my assesment is the stock and lock are of Whitney manufacture, the barrel in 58 is of Harpers Ferry manufacture by the barrel proof marks. Parts on 1841's are very interchangeable, this gun could have been repaired during or after the war by repalceing original whitney barrel with a Hapers Ferry one. There is also a small difference in the bayonet lug. This is my take on the rifle. I hope this helps. There is a Whitney of this type on Shiloh Civil war relics web page. Which will show you the difference. I can not figure out how to post link. Take care.

Jim Fedorko
      13th Confederate Inf.
      N-SSA

Comment

Thank you for the information Jim. Much appreciated.
        Jason David

Peter Pelican
        36th Illinois Co. "B"
        Prodigal Sons Mess
        Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Hallo!

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt and Jim, On a slightly different slant of the topic. Have either of you seen, or have documentation of the clamp on bayonet lug in use other than the Colt contract alterations? I've seen some originals online with a clamp band a bayonet and no other changes, just wasn't sure if that was something a collector did to the rifle, or something done wartime. Thanks again for all of the information you so freely share, it is great appreciated.
            Scott Sheets
            Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
            Dirty Shirts

Comment

About a year ago I came across a MS that had a lug very nicely attached to the LEFT side of the barrel. Anybody know what alteration that would have been? It was a Tryon I think but for the life of me I can't find the notes I made of it in my current state of affairs. It was either a Tryon or Whitney I do know because at the particular show I remember there were only 2 MS rifles, a Whitney and Tryon. If memory serves, it was just a regular front sight but had a 3-leafe rear sight and I do remember it was burnished bright.

Comment

Gents,
                Speaking of M1841 Mississippi Rifles, does anyone know or have a have a source for finding out what make or version was issued to the 10th US Infantry?

Chuck Mood
                Charles W. Mood

Comment

Working...
                X